Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I easily determine if there is a load bearing wall structure in place?

ianthom
Finding My Feet

How do I easily determine if there is a load bearing wall structure in place?

I want to remove an existing sliding door and replace it with a wider one which extends further across our balcony.

There is a gap of plasterboard and cladding etc. between the existing sliding door and a window as you can see below.

I am being asked if there is an existing load bearing wall that is in place today which will need to be factored in or not.  

What is the easiest way for me to determine if this is the case or not without removing existing cladding to see inside the structure ?

Thanks. Ian

IMG_0043.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I easily determine if there is a load bearing wall structure in place?

Hi @ianthom,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it's wonderful to have you with us.

Generally, all external walls are considered structural elements that will require engineered plans prior to alteration. 

Whether they are bearing load from above or not, they form part of the overall bracing that keeps the building plumb, and in some way, will be supporting another load bearing wall. 

Assuming the door was built to code, there will be a beam called a header running across the top of the door. This beam will be supported by "jack studs" on either side of the door. If you want to widen the door opening, this beam will need to be replaced with one of a suitable size, to support any load sitting above the door opening.

If you are planning to make alterations to this door, you will need to consult with an engineer prior to commencement.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out.

Jacob

Re: How do I easily determine if there is a load bearing wall structure in place?

Thanks Jacob.  I appreciate the welcome and your guidance.

cheers. Ian

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects