Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I fill holes left in plasterboard after removing shelving?

Tywoodpk
Growing in Experience

How do I fill holes left in plasterboard after removing shelving?

I have removed a modular wire wardrobe setup from my walk in robe, but am left with holes in the wall. 

Some of the holes have plastic or metal ‘plugs’ or fittings which have been painted over but the holes are visible.  How do I remove them without damaging the wall or do I fill them and paint over them again? 

5DD49B3B-A324-47C6-BF5C-C83FACC20B7E.jpeg

34DB3268-5665-4004-8DEF-FAE4C0ACC9EB.jpeg 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I fill holes left in plasterboard after removing shelving?

Hello @Tywoodpk

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about filling holes in your plasterboard.

I suggest getting a Philips head screwdriver and removing the Ramset Nylon WallMate Plasterboard Anchor still stuck in your wall. Putting the filler compound over the plastic will not give you a good repair surface and it will crack when it dries off. I recommend using Selleys 180g Spakfilla Rapid Gap Filler. Since the holes are quite small, I don't recommend using a reinforcement patch as it will make the repair too bulky. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to fix a hole in the wall 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hi @EricL and @Tywoodpk 

A handy little tip I picked up along the way when removing wall mates once removed turn your Phillips Head screw driver around and tap the hole in the wall firmly with the head of the handle to make an indent over the hole that way when you go to fill the hole you don't have any plater protruding outwards.

Make sure you don't hit it so hard you make a bigger hole though 😉

Here's an interesting tip I picked up the other day @CSParnell. Did you know the steel pommel of a scraper/joint knife is designed for doing exactly that? It's made that way, so you place the pommel on the protruding section and apply some pressure with a twisting motion. It crushes/pushes the plaster/paper back down, so it's not proud of the surface.

I thought that was quite interesting.

Mitchell

Joint knife.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc no I did not there you go but that's not surprising being a sparky and precious we like to minimise the amount of tools we carry and therefore multitask each tool, take for instance our pliers also doubles up as a hammer, a spider squisher, a wrench, a make a whole in plaster tool. 😄 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects