Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add a timber cladding feature wall?

lbahir
Getting Established

How to add a timber cladding feature wall?

Hi I'm looking for suggestions on how to put some timber MDF cladding panels on my tv wall area in my living room. We thinking of putting our tv on the wall so need a reliable stud finder too. And then on the left and right just a few panels up. Just want to know what's the best way to hang them as the back of the panels are not flat so using glue and nailing it won't help. Seen some videos where they use timber sticks to nail the panels to it then to the wall. Any suggestions would be great. I've attached the pic of the back how it looks and the front. First pic with the half circle is the front and back second pic.

IMG20230207173618.jpg

IMG20230207173636.jpg

  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: timber cladding feature wall

Hello @lbahir 

Thank you very much for sharing your question about timber cladding. Would it be possible for you to tell us the brand and model of your cladding panel? This kind of panel often has recommended mounting procedures and it's important to see them before I can make any recommendations. 

Can you please tell us more about the wall you are mounting it to? Is it concrete, brick or render? This will help our members assess what kind of wall you have. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
lbahir
Getting Established

Thanks Eric sorry yes that info will be useful had to get it from hubby. So it's WPC internal and external cladding and want to put it in the internal gyprock wall where we going to mount the tv up to. We were thinking to use these battens to run vertically into studs. 

IMG-20230208-WA0002.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @lbahir 

Would it be possible for you to tell us the name of this WPC profile? Generally, these panels are either glued and screwed to the gib rock wall or a timber brace is placed at the back for you to screw into. Did the WPC come with an A4 piece of paper indicating the installation method? Some models use clips to hold the panel in place others are glued and nailed into the gib. 

Please keep in mind that if you use a timber batten frame, it will be necessary to mount a large timber panel behind the WPC panel. The timber panel must be screwed into the studs because when you screw through the WPC the timber behind it will serve as the anchor point for your TV bracket. The WPC panel will not be able to support the weight of your TV set especially if there is a gap between the WPC panel and the gib wall.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the side profile of the WPC? Can you also please include a photo of the panel's side by side? The battens are usually placed horizontally so that the mounting point for all the panels will be on the same level. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Jewelleryrescue and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to add a timber cladding feature wall?

Hi @lbahir  I am a little confused as to what end result you have in mind....  will you be mounting the TV then cladding either side of that, or will you be cladding the whole (or part of the) wall and adding the TV to the top of that?

Because your cladding doesn't create a flat surface - it looks like it will form a surface that mimics a series of poles, you should be able to screw it directly onto the wall... but only screwing them into the vertical studs behind the plaster - so yes, you will need a stud finder.

The strips need to have countersunk holes (to match the position of the wall studs) for screws, drilled into the flat strip which will run across at the top of each panel. Those screw heads will be hidden when you insert the next panel, which goes into the groove just in front of the flat strip.

You can see how that happens by a practice run before drilling or screwing anything.

You will need to keep track of where the studs are in order to know where to screw in your TV mounting bracket.   Putting some masking tape over the panels where the studs are (in the TV mounting area) as you screw them in, should then tell you where they are when it comes time to mount the TV.

Mounting the TV over a non-flat surface could have its challenges. You may be best to put the bracket on the flat wall surface first, then add the cladding around that.

I can't see that adding extra timber strips to the wall will help in your situation.

lbahir
Getting Established

Sorry for the confusion I'm not putting the finishing tv on the panels . Tv will be in the middle of my wall straight on the studs. The panels will be only a few on the left and some on the right of the wall 

Hi @lbahir  and all/

That WPC dosnt look  like it can support the pressure and possible weight of a tv mount directly.

So my suggestion is screw  a rectangular section of timber pine rails  horizonatlly onto your studs large enough for a tv wall bracket to mount.  Making sure   is large enough area  of a larger TV mount into the future if required as  tvs  get bigger.  If TV mount  sits sunken into the surrounding WPC panel. Simply add a  new timber layer thickness to  allow tv to pop TV mount out of the wall.

As long as the yellow wall  rails is screwed firmly to two studs inside the wall you can have over hangs each end  no wall and studs will match your perfect TV mount position so We  need to adjust.

Use  timber size 70mm x35 mm cheap framing stuff.  Yellow in diagram Put in extra to allow your WPC  to screw too.

At need  builders adhesive in a thick bead will hold the wpc to the wall too Just tape or prop the  WPC pieace  into place,

Now horizontally add a top rail bottom rail and 1  to  2 middle  rails  across the wall studs. Out of the 70 x 35 pine timbers.

Cut the WPC around the  now mounted TV bracket (Black in diagram) as  neat as possible once the tv in place it will not be seen.

At the side egdes  of you panel it might be best add a vertical timber trim to frame it neatly if they are exposed.

aWPC.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lbahir

That was an excellent suggestion coming from @Jewelleryrescue. If you are planning on putting some of the WPC at the side of the TV, just make sure that the timber panel for the TV bracket is mounted to the stud of the wall. Adding timber panels to the same depth as the WPC panels means that the TV bracket is not sunk in and you won't have mounting issues.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

lbahir
Getting Established

Yes thank you so much everyone this helps me alot. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @lbahir 

Please make sure to post an update on your cladding project. I'm sure our members will be keen to see what it looks like once, you've installed the WPC panels. If you run into any other installation issues, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects