Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to change buffet colour?

pash81
Getting Established

How to change buffet colour?

20230716_201509.jpg

Hi, I have this big hutch/buffet and I want to change the colour of this. At present it's quite shiny and the top layer seems to be quite sturdy as it doesn't scratch easily. Just want some help in regards to how to start and what to do? Is this a big job or can it be done easily? Thanks

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to change buffet colour?

Hi @pash81,

It's a big unit, so the amount of work you'll need to put in will reflect that. There's nothing technically challenging about the project, but it will take some elbow grease and time.

Typically to prime and paint over varnish, you must sand back the glossy coat entirely. Fortunately, products like Dulux 1L PRECISION White Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer allow you to paint over glossy surfaces with only a light sand. It can be applied without sanding, but it's best to do a test section to ensure it adheres adequately. If it were my project, I'd at least lightly sand all the contact surfaces, like the benchtop and shelves. Once you've applied the primer and allowed it to dry, you'll be able to coat the unit with a water-based enamel paint.

You might like to check out: How to upcycle a bedside cabinet. I use the Max Adhesion Primer to coat over a similar timber to yours.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
pash81
Getting Established

Hi Mitchell, thansk for the reply.

Which sandpaper should i use to sand this thing? Will an electric sander be better or is it easy enough to sand with hand?

After sanding is it best to paint with just a brush or is it better to do spray paint (I have never used a sprayer before)? 

After the paint do i need to do a clear coat on the top or is the Dulux enamel glossy enough?

Thanks.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

An electric sander would be easier, @pash81, though there are plenty of details on the cabinet that you'll need to sand by hand. Remember, you just need to scuff the surface if you're using the Dulux Max Adhesion primer, not sand it back to timber. A 180-grit sandpaper would be sufficient.

If you've never sprayed before, then I wouldn't use this unit as your practice piece, perhaps do some trials on something less important. I certainly wouldn't recommend you use spray cans. A quality brush or a fine nap roller will do a great job for this project. 

You don't need to clear coat as the enamel paint is quite durable. You shouldn't drag rough or sharp items across any painted surface; that's the same as benchtop paints. You could clear-coat the water-based paint with a water-based polyurethane. The Dulux enamel is certainly glossy, but that would be up to your own preference whether it's enough.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good morning @pash81 

I have seen some nice up-scaling of hutches like these in the Bunnings workshop.

Question 1- I would probarly suggest to use a fine sandpaper, from what @MitchellMc was saying the paint he suggested would work with that.

Id make sure there are no flaky pieces of varnish left tho.

Question 2 - probarly use a brush, Lots of different planes of surfaces (or a small roller) pretty much what you feel comfortable with. Make sure you dont paint the inside runners (top and bottom parts of the draw) as it will possibly make the draws stick.

Question 3- For the last question it depends on the paint you choose I would think. Id rock up to the bunnings paint station and see what they have. There are way too many to choose :smile:

Hope this helps and looking forward to seeing the project unfold.

Dave

pash81
Getting Established

Thansk a lot guys. Looks like quite a bit of work involved. Will decide soon what to do but really appreciate the informtion provided.

Cheers..

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @pash81 

I saw this today and thought of you. Some projects may seem to be hard but once you break them down to stages it might becoem "manageable" 

Upcycled coastal style timber dresser Is the project and they describe the steps and products they used quiet nicely I thought.

Hope it helps in deciding :smile: (Oh and we all make mistakes, just look at my not so smooth concrete patio repair lol) 

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects