Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean bug spray stains on TV stand?

Suhas
Finding My Feet

How to clean bug spray stains on TV stand?

IMG-20240504-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20240504-WA0006.jpg

A can of bug spray has left unsightly white marks all over our wooden TV stand. We have tried most of Dr Google's suggestions from wiping down with soapy water, through to, using an iron/ cloth and even mayonnaise. Would anyone have any suggestions as to how to go about removing these stains without ideally having to sand/ repaint or coat? 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Help! Bug spray has stained TV stand

Hi @Suhas,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.

I am sorry to see that you've not had any luck removing the stain. Unfortunately, I believe that the bug spray has reacted to the finish on the TV unit, and it is not possible to remove the stains with a chemical agent. This could be because the finish is made of shellac, which can react to alcohol in the bug spray, similar to nail polish and nail polish remover.

Unfortunately, I believe the only way to fix this is to recoat it. Luckily you will not need to completely remove the coating, it should be fine to sand the surface back to remove any waxy coating using Flexovit 115mm x 1m 120 Grit Timber Sandpaper Roll and then paint over. 

You might even find that you like the look once it is sanded back and would like to just apply a clear coat over the top such as Dulux 325g Duramax Matt Clear Coat Spray Paint.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any thoughts, @Noyade, @Dave-1, @diy_hausdesigns, @Renowayoflife.

Jacob

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Suhas 

My mind went straight to "What is in the bug spray?" 😕 And yeah I totally agree with @JacobZ's thought process. Would be interesting in knowing what brand bug spary as a general question lol But probarly not wise on this forum :smile: Tho will keep heads up for sure with bug sprays from now on.

Id also like to offer a warm Hello :smile: but what a way to enter into the Bunnings community, They will be loads of ways to resurface the tv display stand I am sure :smile: Feeling for you guys tho.

Dave

Thanks Jacob and Dave for the responses! Very much appreciated. Time to get to work.

Suhas
Finding My Feet

Hi Gents, black wax ended up taking care of the issue quite well. Avoided having to sand/ re-stain/ paint. 

TV Stand 3.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Suhas,

That looks brilliant, I could never tell there was a problem if I hadn't seen the before photo. Awesome work!

Jacob

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @Suhas 

:laugh: Bonus! Nice work and as @JacobZ says "If we hadnt seen the before photo we wouldnt know" What made you think of using the black wax? Its a brilliant idea!

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects