Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cover cork flooring?

BethW
Just Starting Out

How to cover cork flooring?

Apologies if this has been asked before, but we are doing a few DIY improvements to an old house which has some tired cork flooring in the living area. I was thinking I would be able to stick down some vinyl planks to help see us through until we can do a bigger renovation.  Good or bad idea?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Covering cork flooring

Hello @BethW 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you with us, and thanks for sharing your question about your cork flooring.

Due to the cork floorings flexing nature, I don't recommend using stick-on vinyl planks. As the cork flexes the edges of the stick-on vinyl planks lift up and cause them to come off. Given enough time it will curl, lift and will refuse to be stuck down and re-attached.

Instead, I propose installing Senso 3m Castle Brown Essential Vinyl Sheet. This flooring is versatile and practical, ideal for wet and dry areas. It's flexible, easy to install and easy to maintain. It can be loose laid; double-sided sticky tape around the perimeter of the room is all that is required for installation.

It's a single large sheet that can fixed at the ends using double sided tape. Once you have your appliances back on top of the sheet, their weight will prevent the sheet from moving and shifting. The plus side of this type of flooring is that it can be recycled if taken care of properly. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects