Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to create a feature wall?

Deano1
Cultivating a Following

How to create a feature wall?

Hi, I'm new to the Bunnings Community & this is my first post, so hopefully it makes sense. I'm painting a feature wall in my unit, using a light grey suede paint & then a darker grey suede to create a ' Weathered Concrete ' look. I should clarify by saying that I'm trying to paint & create etc. 😆

I have done some home renovating & decorating before, inc a feature wall, however it was quite a while ago & different in many ways, which is why I'm hoping to get some advice & ideas before starting.

Firstly, when applying the darker grey suede, is it best to use a brush, sponge, cloth or something different & is there a certain way to apply paint, as in actual technique, in order to get the most realistic results? 

I also have another idea regarding the adjacent wall, which is about the same size as the feature wall but has a doorway through to another room. It also previously had another door, which is basically in the centre & the outline of both the door & frame is clearly visible & doesn't look great. I was thinking of painting all the other walls anyway, just in the original color to give it a fresh new look & hopefully further highlight the accent wall, so I think I could use plaster or a type of putty to make it level with the rest of the wall & then simply paint over it.

However, I really want to try & create a specific look & I'm not sure exactly what it'z called but basically it'z a broken or worn brick type of style. That's probably not a very good description 🤔, so I've also attached photos to show what I mean, however whilst the style is correct, it wouldn't be in that colour but they are the only photos I could find to show what I was meaning. 

Basically, as shown in photos, instead of bricks, it would be the concrete look previously mentioned & the other part ( Would be a White/Cream colour, the same as the other walls ) & just in regards to that part, which I've highlighted with sm black circles, it looks like paint but was wondering if someone knows if it is or if it's a different type of product that has then been painted?

I don't know if there is a simple easy way to get this effect & even if there is, would it be a bit much in the 1 room, especially as it's not huge area? 

Any thoughts & advice would be greatly appreciated & I apologise for the length of this post.

Thank You,

Screenshot_20220928-083238_Google~3.jpg

63057b018600e4952714120d30d63ca3~3.jpg

ee237e5179a00fce80e6ff0bbff68fca~4.jpg

Dean. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to create a feature wall?

Hello @Deano1 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about creating a feature wall.

Using suede paint is one way to achieve that weathered concrete look, but an easier method would be to use the Dulux 4L Design Concrete Effect Paint. If you combine this with partial plastering, you can achieve that unfinished look you are going for. Once the plaster is dry you can paint highlights on it to age it even further so that it is not so stark white.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the opposite wall you where the door is? This will give our members a better idea of its layout. We can then make recommendations on how to disguise it. 

Were you after that specific look where there is an unfinished wall with LED lighting on it? It can be duplicated with a sheet of MDF and timber battens to create the lifted surface. You can then put on Palram 0.37m² Cement Ledgstone Innovera PVC Wall Panel on top of the frame and duplicate the look.

If balanced properly you could get away with this unfinished look feature wall design. However, it will be a bit overwhelming in a small room. These types of displays are better suited to large flat walls in hallways or the living room where they can have the most impact.

Here are some amazing feature wall projects our Workshop members have shared:

Here is a handy link on how to apply the Dulux Concrete Effect Paint: Dulux Concrete Effect 

Let me call on our experienced members @prettyliving and @lifestylebymari for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Deano1
Cultivating a Following

20230329_080423~3.jpg

The circled areas are where the edge of prev door is most predominant.The circled areas are where the edge of prev door is most predominant.

Hi Eric, thank you so much for the advice & ideas, very helpful & most appreciated.

Apologies for not responding sooner, due to a personal family matter, I've been away & only juzt read the responses.

In regards to the type of paint to use for the feature wall, I purchased it a while ago & was thinking it was suede, however it actually is the Design Concrete Effect paint that you mentioned, so it's good to hear someone else also recommend it. 

At the risk of sounding less than amateur, what do you mean by partial plastering & also painting highlights to age it? Also, juzt a quick question on the actual painting, is there a certain way/technique to use when applying it for most realistic results & is a brush, sponge or something such as a cloth the best to use?

With the other walls, as mentioned in original post, I would like to try a few different effects, such as the broken brick type of style but as you said, it may be a bit much in a relatively small room, so I'm juzt going to give them a fresh coat of normal interior paint & with the one I mentioned that used to have a doorway in it, I think I'll just use something to make it level & then paint over it, however I don't know if using a type of putty is best or something different, so any ideas & advice with that would be greatly appreciated.

As you suggested & as I should have done initially, I've attached photos to make it a lot easier to assess.

One more thing that I'm not sure about is in regards to both the upper & lower cornice ( Think it'z called that 🤔 ) of the feature wall, as well as the others.

I was thinking of using the same light grey color as the feature wall, to paint both the top & bottom cornices in the room, as well as in the kitchen & bedroom.

The idea is that there will be splashes of brighter colors here & there but as the color of feature wall is a subtle & neutral light grey, to also carry it throughout the unit but only on the cornices & I was juzt wondering if anyone has done or seen this or similar & what your thoughts are on whether or not it would work or if it should only be on the feature wall?

As with my original post, apologies for the length of it & for the multiple questions but I really enjoy discussing different aspects of interior design & also think it'z important to try new things & get advice & feedback from other like minded people.

Thanks,

Dean.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Deano1 

It is a bit of trial and error when it comes to partial plastering. Your goal is to give the impression that plastering stopped abruptly on an end with a thick coat to give the impression that it has a thick edge. The paint is basically watered-down off-white paint to remove the stark whiteness of the fresh plaster. You can even use very light grey to give a darker finish to the plaster.

To level off the wall with the closed door, I suggest using Gyprock CSR 2.25kg Less Mess Multi-Purpose Joint Compound. Just keep in mind not put on a very thick coat so that your waiting time for curing will not be so long. Once the patch has cured, you can then sand it level, clean it off and prepare to paint.

Your term for the cornice is correct. The purpose of the cornice is to provide a clear division between the ceiling and the wall. Although it divides the two sections, it does so gently by using its curved surface. Unlike vertical walls that stop on a sharp angle and continue on in a different direction. By painting the cornice in the same colour, it will give the impression that the wall is bigger than it actually is.

My best suggestion is to tackle one project at a time. In this manner each project gets your full attention.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a paint mask when working on your walls.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Deano1
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric, thank you again for your advice, often with projects & specific jobs within, such as covering the old door frame, I have an idea of what to do but am unsure as to what product would be the best for it, so it'z great to able to discuss it with others who also really enjoy home renovations & decorating & to get some tips & ideas, such as using Giprock Joint Compound, which I've juzt added to my shopping basket.

Think I'm ready to give it all a go now & will post some b4 & after photos to show how it turned out, because I'd really like to see what yourself & others think. Thanks for all the help & support, it'z very much appreciated.

Dean.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects