Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to create a soundproof temporary room divider?

Sugar
Having an Impact

How to create a soundproof temporary room divider?

Hi guys, 

This picture is from my second living room in my house. Since my wife and I work from home and we need now a little bit of space to create home office (temporary), we are planning to put some temporary partitioning in this living room (indicated by the dotted line here) and also if we can put some sliding door in the entrance. Red rectangle indicates the place where we want put the temporary (sound proof) partiionRed rectangle indicates the place where we want put the temporary (sound proof) partiionThis is where we want to make temporary officeThis is where we want to make temporary officeFull pictureFull picture

we like to have temporary sound proof ( if possible) partition because there is a kitchen very close to ( you can see on the image) this living room and we don't want to hear any sound generated from the kitchen (while cooking Asian foods :smile: )

Thank you.. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: temporary room divider (Room partitioning)

Hi @Sugar,

Temporary and soundproof walls don't typically go hand-in-hand. To create a soundproof wall you'd need a solid structure that soundwaves can't pass through. Temporary walls generally have air gaps that soundwaves can pass through.

I'd suggest you need to discuss and decide how temporary this installation is to be. If this is a second living room then it would be worth considering if transforming it into a permanent office space would increase the value of your home. I would be of the opinion that it would do, and suggest building a semi-permanent timber stud wall and insulating it with Soundsheild insulation before cladding it with plaster. This wall could still be removed if needed, though you'd need to repair the area where it was attached.

The sliding door is certainly possible. Installing a cavity slider or barn door track would likely be the most straightforward solution. If you're planning on D.I.Y.ing the door, then a barn door would be the easiest to do yourself.

Let me mention @Jewelleryrescue to see if they have any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc Thank you for your reply and sorry for late response. 

There is a change in the plan. 

I would like to use temporary room dividers such as these: 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/products/indoor-living/bedroom/room-dividers

However, I prefer something that the height from floor to roof ( without leaving any gap) so that it is a complete division although sound is there. I am ready to compromise sound to some level. Any other recommendations are highly appreciated. 

I would like to use this divider for my this second living room and create a division of 30% and 70%. I would like to use the 30% of the divided area and use that space as office space and leave 70% space for my son (20 months old) to play around. 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Good morning @Sugar & @MitchellMc 

I'm in a similar situation where I want a temporary wall with a door that can/will be easily removed, to be positioned in the space seen at right. That 'cupboard' door seen at left will be the perfect height - 2100mm. But when looking at the Bunnings site I can't see an inexpensive internal door at this height?

I'm thinking of somehow adding height to the traditional 2040mm internal door. The finish does not have to be perfect.

red line.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Sugar 

I propose installing a cavity sliding door at the kitchen opening in order to isolate the cooking sounds. I then suggest building a dividing wall across the kitchen door opening to further buffer the sound. I suggest only having the dividing wall at 2000mm so that airflow from the glass sliding door to the front area of your house is still possible.

The dividing wall will be enough to conservatively lower the sound from the living room area by at least 40%. What's important is that your office space is private and separate from the rest of the house. 

I've drawn up a sample sketch, please have a look and tell me what you think.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Good morning @Sugar 

Any chance of revealing these dimensions?

(Just curious).

Cheers.

1.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects