Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to enlarge a pre existing hole in a metal rod?

shramika
Finding My Feet

How to enlarge a pre existing hole in a metal rod?

Hey everyone.

I recently purchased a TV Cabinet and tried to assemble it. There is a metal stand which already has a pre drilled hole. The hole is little small for the given nail . Hence I am not able to push the nail into that pre existing hole. I think I slightly need to enlarge the hole for the nail to fit in ! What tools from Bunnings can I buy to achieve this ? I have less knowledge in this. 

I have attached the pic of metal rod with the pre existing hole and the the type of nail I am trying to fit in. The nail size is 1/4 * 12mm. I want to enlarge the hole in the below rod to dril this nail into it , looking for some inputs before I buy the tools. Thanks 

BD9A3710-E44F-48F9-A8DC-CAC5FB537017.jpeg

4A016924-6C9D-4BAB-8EC5-8ECCEEF00BB2.jpeg

884B16A1-EB32-4E6C-B9D4-9FB4D9D02ABB.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to enlarge a pre existing hole in a metal rod?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @shramika. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about enlargening a hole.

Is this a structural fixing for the cabinet? If so, I'd suggest contacting the supplier and having a new part sent out would be your best option. This is a tapped hole; any drilling it larger will likely compromise the bolt's ability to screw into it. Have you tried screwing it in from the other side? If you can, that might clean out the threads and allow you to insert the bolt on the correct side. Failing that, you could clean out the threads with a tap and die set. I would not recommend you simply drill out the hole.

Do any other of the screws thread easily into this hole? If so, that might help us identify if the bolt or the hole is causing the issue.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Dear Mitchell .

Thank you so much for your guidance. What a legend ! I got the tap and die set from Bunnings and I was able to clean out the threads. The screw fits into the hole now ! Thanks again . You are amazing .

Best 

Shramika 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's awesome to hear that you resolved the issue, @shramika! Reach out anytime you need assistance with a project around the home or garden; we're here to help. 

Many thanks for sharing your result.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @shramika 

Well done!

"What a legend !"

He is! 😎

What tap did you eventually use? M6?

I think tap and die sets are fantastic and great for DIY'ers. Over the years I have found them to be invaluable and at times, life savers.

A couple of the reviews for the product above seem rather harsh - the bigger the tap or die - the more careful you need to be.

Cheers!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects