Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to extend timber riser in home theatre room?

lufc001
Just Starting Out

How to extend timber riser in home theatre room?

I've got an existing timber riser in my home theatre and am looking at extending it by 600mm.

I'm not too sure where to start as i'm not great at DIY but also dont want to spend thousands on getting a caprenter for what i assume is a fairly small job.

The existing dimensions of the riser are 300mm high, 1500mm long and 3850mm wide. See picture below of how it looked when the house was built. It now has carpet over the top of it.HTRiser_3.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to extend timber riser in home theatre room?

Hello @lufc001, 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about extending your home theatre riser.

In order to get an accurate measurement of the level of your riser, it will be necessary to remove the carpet so that you can actually see the top of the timber riser. From there you can base the height of your extension design. Adding an extension is like building a decking frame. I suggest having a look at this guide - How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W. 

I also suggest having a look at this discussion - Low-profile deck with screening and steps by @MGusto. This is an excellent example of how you can build the frame with pedestals. The best part of the build is that the pedestals can be adjusted to the necessary height that you need.

Here are some discussions on how to build a home theatre platform:

I also suggest having a look at this excellent guide - How to build a dedicated home theatre by @Prof.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects