Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill hole in brick wall?

atmatic
Getting Established

How to fill hole in brick wall?

Hi all, its me again, separate question from my other posts.

So we've got the heater gas bayonet decomissioned, and needing to get this wall vent closed.

wall vent.jpg

I guess the question really is, how do I brick this? As I have no experience regarding it.

Again, thank you all kindly.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: [?] Covering Wall Vent

Afternoon @atmatic 

Does the vent supply fresh air even without the gas bayonet? I am always reluctant on closing up vents as they usually have a purpose.

However I would plaster the hole, not brick it as I am more familiar with plastering :smile:

Id put two pieces of timber bottom and top or side and side and bolt them to the bricks. leaving enough space for a repair patch of plaster. Then liquidnails / screw the plaster to the timber.

Once you have done that it becomes a matter of filling the edges with plaster and feathering it in. You may need to fill the edge a few times as there are a couple of gaps in the concrete render to the edge of the hole to allow each layer to dry first before filling the rest in.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Covering Wall Vent

Hi @atmatic 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. I totally agree that the vents have a purpose, they are placed in to balance the temperature in a brick home and provide air circulation inside your wall preventing moisture build up. I therefore suggest not blocking them up.

However, in order to improve its looks, I suggest painting the vent in the same colour as your wall or if you want it to stand out painting it white to give it the impression that it is a new vent.

Here is a link to our best advice: Can you block the air vents in an old brick house?

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
atmatic
Getting Established

thanks for the feedback @Dave-1 and @EricL .

I forgot to mention that the house is built 2001, double brick wall and concrete slab. We will be having a ducted reverse cycle air conditioning installed, if this makes a difference. And air tightnest plays a crucial part of making it efficient, based on research. Although I have not gone for any quotes or visit yet. We are also in Perth WA, just in case state requirements arises.

Also, one of the tradies I've had quote from did mention that with the new 7 energy rating requirements, newer house are not going to have vents (probably we've gone past the era of gas heaters, but use ducted airconditioning as the new standard...?). I was hoping this would increase our energy rating.

With our rental, built 2020 (covid times), same brick walls on concrete slab, this doesn't have a gas bayonet anymore, and the only place with a vent is the closed/doored laundry room, in the ceiling.

I also have noticed that our rental has weep holes on the outer brick wall around it, but our house does not have them? Should I put a hole on ours too? Assumingly, these are part of the new/improve standard(s)...?

What are your thoughts for this?

Once internal renovations our done, I am going to replace ceiling batt (as current is already dusted loose and may still be the original).

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @atmatic 

House designs have changed over the years with new methods of cooling/keeping the house comfortable. I understand the tightest seal is something that is sought after especially in Europe (Yeah I keep watching Eupean hossue sbeing built and how energy efficent they are lol ) The problem is thats for Europe that may not take into account Australian conditions let alone the "warmth" Perth has.... 

If the house is sealed then yeah id be following the ducted air con. My house is older at 56ish years and leaks like a sieve :smile: I actually like the breeze through open windows and doors, The cold in winter would be nice to not let it in as much but then I am up against sealing the house up. To me its a debate on personal preference.

I wouldnt be adding weep holes unless you talk to a builder to find out the actuall benifits and if its needed. in your situation. (A structure has been built at a certain standard, modding it isnt always an easy thing)

Back to the original question about covering the vent, comes down to totally your preference. If the recomendation is to seal the house totally then Id say its needed. If you want natural convection then maybe sealed with a door? Not sure how that would work but I am very big on passive ventilation. I think it would be an easy option to cover the hole with plaster and timber, you could always put some insulation behind it. 

Would love to have some info down the track on how cool your place is and how much energy gets used to keep it that way. :smile: 

I dont have bats and dont have sarking :surprised: oh yeah like I said "leaks like a sieve" lol

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @atmatic 

Installing the ducted air conditioning system is a great way to control the temperature in the house. I would probably have an in-depth discussion with the installer regarding the retrofitting of the vents in the wall. If they say that it is safe to cover, and that ventilation will be provided at another point then it should not be an issue.

In regards to the weep holes, it's possible that it might be located in another part of the building, but if not, I suggest speaking to your tradie and picking his brain regarding installing weep holes in your brick wall. It might turn out that it might not be necessary to install weep holes as your brick wall has a different type of passive air recirculation system.  

My best advice regarding ducted air conditioning is to provide a manual close off switch for each room so that you can direct the cool air where it's needed and there would be no need to cool the entire house.

I highly suspect that Dave-1 and I are watching the same programs regarding house building.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @atmatic 

....."Insert smile about here"

Found another solution that popped up in my newsfeed......

Vent mod.jpg

Fully acknoledge the "outside the box"  thinking on this one. The blurb that came with the picture minus the name of course.
"I live in deep rural France where the winters are grey. A cold wind blew through this ugly air vent in the kitchen so I took a photo of the vent, framed it and hung it over the vent. Now the wind is less ferocious and the vent less ugly"

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects