Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix blotchy door after stain and varnish?

AmandaAquilina
Getting Established

How to fix blotchy door after stain and varnish?

Hi , I attempted to paint our barn door today and unfortunately after 1 coat of cabots stain and varnish on my maple door it has come out blotchy . 

The door was in raw form and brand new . If I paint a 2nd coat will this look more blended in ? I'm also using a paint brush to apply as recommended by bunnings and offcourse painting with the grain and not against it . Any help to fix this would be great . Picture shown is after 2 hours of drying time  

20240420_173210.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: blotchy door after stain and varnish

Hi @AmandaAquilina,

Thank you for your question.

Some blotchiness is unavoidable as the natural grain of the timber differs from piece to piece and species to species. Inconsistent grain structure can lead to uneven absorption of the stain. I would suggest there will be some slight variations throughout the timber due to the uneven nature of the timber. It all comes down to personal preference, but some imperfection often adds to the rustic look of the timber.

Adding a second coat will help to blend it in, but you will definitely need to give the first coat a light sanding with a medium grit sandpaper such as 180 Grit Painted Surface Sandpaper. Make sure to brush off any loose material before applying your second coat as this can also cause unevenness.

Let me know if you would like any further advice and update us as your project progresses.

Jacob

Hi, thanks so much for your advice . I lightly sanded the door after the 1st coat and I also did a second coat but this time using a small roller. Worked a treat and super happy with the outcome.  Thanks for your help and advice 

735455809(1).jpg

Hi @AmandaAquilina,

It looks great, congratulations on your new door.

If you have any other future projects that go smoothly, or you need some advice on, please do share. We love to see D.I.Y projects come to life.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects