Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix broken sliding door?

PhoenixClose1
Growing in Experience

How to fix broken sliding door?

Hi All,

Just moved to an old property. I notice a corner of a sliding door scrapes the floor. I inspected the top of the door and saw that a part of its internal wood is exposed outside the door's body, so that's why the bottom right of the door touches the floor.

I slid a blade inside the gap to see how far it can go in (was wondering if the door is hollow inside). Something stopped my blade around the same depth as the exposed wood, so I think the exposed wood had broken off the main body.

What's a good way to reattach it securely to the main body?  Screws?  Nails? What kind and where and how many?  Will superglue help?  The door is 3.5cm thick (not 3cm as I put in the picture) and the exposed wood is about 1.5-2cm deep.

Not sure why it broke but i wonder if the left part might also break as well (it looks fine at the moment). Wondering what I can do to reinforce it before it does?  Thanks!

IMG_20230807_162444_1.jpgIMG_20230807_162513_1.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix broken sliding door door

Hi @PhoenixClose1,

If this is a relatively light hollow-core door, then I'd squirt some PVA glue in the hole and apply it along the edges of the pieces that come out. Push the timber back in place either by removing the door so you can do so, or try jacking up that corner that scraps on the floor with wedges. Once back in position, use a couple of Paslode 50 x 2.0mm 100g Bright Steel Bullet Head Nails through the side frame timber into the end of the top frame piece to secure it in position. Then take some Paslode 20 x 1.25mm 100g Bright Bullet Head Nails and nail through the front skin into the side of the top frame piece. You can do the same on the other side if you're concerned.

It should resolve your issue by glueing the timber frame piece back into position and nailing it in place.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the quick reply Mitchell!  Sounds like something I can do.  

Reach out again if you get stuck @PhoenixClose1; we're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects