Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix stuck door knob that can't turn inside?

MYC
Building a Reputation

How to fix stuck door knob that can't turn inside?

Our front door recently has inside door handle knob not ab lkk e to turn to eject the lock button, when we want to get out of the house.  Had to struggle in a 'breaking' strength to turn it hard in order to release the button and open door.  From outside, no problem to unlock button with key.  Only inside button is the problem. 

20220514_094913.jpg

What should we do? Hope no need to replace it. If replacing door knob, would Bunnings be able to cut key hole of new door knob to fit our master key?  See photo.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: door knob stuck, can't turn inside to release button from inside.

Hi @MYC

It sounds like the unlocking mechanism is faulty, and the doorknob will need to be replaced. You could try disassembling the mechanism and seeing if there is anything you can service inside. Perhaps some lubricant would allow the mechanism to function again.

We cannot change the barrel on a door handle to suit your current master key. That's something you'd need a locksmith to do for you. However, we could potentially order you a new deadlock and door handle that are keyed-alike from the manufacturer.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MYC
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell,

Just to let you know that my doorknob is free of problem.   We didn't do anything but actually discovered what caused the doorknob stucked. 

For weeks before the problem,  I sprayed disinfecting Eucalyptus oil to doorknob at end of each day.   Then I suspected could be the spraying caused the problem.  So I stopped spraying disinfectant,  instead I started using disinfecting wipes.  After a week,  doorknob has no more problem of turning.  It solved the problem and save $$ too.

My mistake turned out a good lesson for me and anyone: do not spray disinfectant to doorknobs 🙂, just wipes. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @MYC

Thank you very much for that update. Odds are the disinfecting spray got into the mechanicals of the doorknob and dried off the lubrication in them. If you ever find yourself in the same situation, I suggest spraying the gaps in the doorknob with WD-40 300g Spray And Stay Lubricant, this will lubricate all the mechanical parts of the doorknob.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MYC
Building a Reputation

Thanks for your advice,  Eric. Will keep that in mind. Much appreciated. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects