Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix this textured wall and skirting?

PatGirl1
Getting Established

How to fix this textured wall and skirting?

IMG_5879.jpeg

IMG_5880.jpeg

IMG_5884.jpeg

IMG_5887.jpeg

IMG_5885.jpeg

  

IMG_5882.jpeg

   

IMG_5878.jpeg

PatGirl1
Getting Established

Re: How to fix this textured wall and skirting?

Hi Simon, thanks for your great observations of my repair job. It’s actually a toilet room’s wall. 
Yes, the wall has lost its colour of paint, smoothness and balance of a straight wall. There maybe a moisture problem and the skirting has arisen.  What type of skirting should I buy for moisture problems please? And what are your ideas to fix the unlevelness of the wall? Isn’t plaster a very thick texture? Is there another product that is like a finer filler to fix the problem?

Thanks.

PatGirl1
Getting Established

Also,please  do you think it’s better to staple, glue or nail a skirting because this skirting has no nails. What products do I need ? 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good morning @PatGirl1 

There will be timber behind the plaster somewhere, it can be hard to find without a stud finder (yes I have dozens of holes in my plaster hidden by the "new" skirting board :smile:

So for your first question

-The wall looks like its been made to be "textured" so it may take a lot of effort to smooth out via sanding but that would probarly be the best outcome way. Second best outcome way would be to use plaster compound and then smooth it over and then sand but that would be a LOT more work. I have done this with joins ect before and that generates a lot of plaster dust from the effort. Either way should work.

Second question

- Nail the new skirting board with 45mm bullet head nails. When you remove the old skirting board you should see either a base plate underneath or the actuall stud walls. The Skirting board I would use is timber Primed mouldings (Skirting Boards) There are so many to choose from. I would suggest to go with something that is rectangular (on the end shape) as the corners will be easier.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @PatGirl1 

I agree with @Dave-1's suggestion to find the studs first so that you can fix the skirting board to the wall. I also recommend using an adhesive such as Selleys 420g Liquid Nails Fast Grab Strong Adhesive to anchor the skirting board to the wall itself. The nails used on it is there to hold the skirting board in place until the adhesive cures. 

It will be necessary to over drive the nails so that they sink into the skirting board. In order to cover the nail heads on the skirting board, I suggest using UNi-PRO 500g Multi Purpose Interior Filler. Once the filler cures you can sand it flush with surface to get a flawless finish.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects