Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fixing cabinet to dry wall?

nagumuthu
Making a Splash

How to fixing cabinet to dry wall?

Hello All,

While attempting to fix a tall cabinet of height (around 2m) to dry wall, noticed the stud is away from the location where the tall cabinet demands its position.

I have purchased wall anchor from Bunnings (https://www.bunnings.com.au/ramset-mini-nylon-anchor-wallmate-50-pack_p2260690).

Is it advisable to hook the cabinet with above anchor [ The concern here is the anchor resides on dry wall and not fixed to stud ].

In this scenario of the cabinet away from stud, what would be the right fix for securing the cabinet from topping down.

Thanks
MM. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fixing cabinet to dry wall?

Hello @nagumuthu

Thank you for sharing that question about your fixing your tall cabinet to the wall. Can you please post a picture and tell us the size of the tall cabinet? Please make sure to include the wall you are mounting the tall cabinet too.

We look forward to seeing the pictures.   

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello Eric,

Here attached is the photo.Tall CabinetTall Cabinet

Thanks

MM

Hi @nagumuthu,

I'd suggest using two of these Ramset Super WallMate Toggles. They can hold up to 20kg each, versus the 5kg of the Mini WallMate. You'll find them a little more difficult to install, but they are well worth the effort. 

Please let us know if you have any difficulties and we can walk you through the process.

Mitchell

Hello Mitchell,

Thanks for the recommendation.

Will the 'Ramset Super WallMate Toggles' do the job if they are not hooked to the stud ?. Meaning the cabinet is hooked to the plaster board by the wall mate toggles.

Thanks

MM

The toggles are designed to work on plaster @nagumuthu. They are used when there is no accessible stud. They will provide significant holding power and should ensure your cabinet doesn't tip over. However, they will be adequate for a static load. If you forcefully pull the cabinet over or unduly load the cabinet to be front-heavy, you could still run into an issue. There's only so much weight plaster can hold. That's why it's preferable to screw into studs, but it doesn't sound like you have that option.

Mitchell

Hello @MitchellMc,

Thanks for the clarrification.

Bought the toggles from Bunnings.

nagumuthu_0-1658034456646.png

While attempting to install, had few hurdles. The toggle should pierce through the stopper and then pierce through the plaster board. My apologies for not letting know earlier about the end stopper on the back of the cabinet. I realized this while attempting to fix the toggle to the plaster board.

nagumuthu_1-1658034587008.png

The image when toggle pierces through the stopper is provided as below.

nagumuthu_2-1658034774709.png

Can you please advice what is the best way to mount the cabinet (with end stopper) as shown in one of above photos.

Thanks

MM

Hello @MitchellMc  @EricL 

I have a general question. Under mounting fittings that are capable of 'X' load (for e.g 10kg) each and I have 3 such fittings on a plaster board, am I allowed to mount a maxload of 30Kg, where each fitting will share its max capacity of 10Kg / or else, each one of the fitting is loaded with 30kg load.

Thanks

MM

Hi @nagumuthu,

The toggles are designed to screw directly into the plasterboard, not a proprietary stopper. So, the only way you could get these toggles to work would be to align them with the holes in the stopper and fixing the toggle into your plaster. From inside the cabinet, insert the screw through the backing board and the stopper into the toggle. However, the stopper looks far too thick to allow the screw to pass through.

Can you do away with the stopper? If so, fixing angle brackets onto the wall with the toggles might be best. These brackets will be located at the height of the top of the cabinet. You can then screw down through the bracket into the top of the cabinet, fixing it in place. I've added a rendering below to illustrate.

Weight distribution doesn't work like that, unfortunately. I wouldn't max out the three fixtures in your example with 30kg. They will be unevenly distributing that load, and one of the fixtures is likely to experience more than 10kg of force and could fail. You'd be better off finding a single fixture that can support the 30 kilograms on its own.

Mitchell

brack.png

Hello @MitchellMc 

Thanks for the rendering. I visited bunnings today to grab the L bracket. Bought a set. Noticed with circular holes on it and searched for 'oblong' holes that allows for adjustment if the drilling does not happen at the right location or mounted at incorrect position. I could not find any L brackets with oblong holes.  Are you aware of L brackets with Oblong holes.

nagumuthu_0-1658132578814.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects