Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang honeycomb blinds?

MambourinNewbie
Finding My Feet

How to hang honeycomb blinds?

Hello,

Can you please advise can I drill just above the window frame (highlighted in the picture) to hang honeycomb blinds?

What exactly is behind that section of the plasterboard ? (Window Head?, Lintel? Stud?)

I tried using a stud finder to find a stud but there doesn't seem to be one in the position where I need it to be. 

Please advise. 

Screenshot_20231126_161843_Camera.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to hang honeycomb blinds?

Hi @MambourinNewbie,

Let me tag one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts in @EricL to assist you as soon as possible. Other helpful members like @Jewelleryrescue and @TedBear might also like to share their thoughts in the meantime about how they would go about hanging blinds.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @MambourinNewbie 

Another way to find  studs is by sound.   try a wall first to get the idea  tap along a wall untill the sound is less hollow and when you are on a  stud  tapping the wall feels  quite firm. 

Tap /thump the top of the window ledge it should be hard and firm like thhe wall stud. That way you know your screw  will be supported.

There most definatly is timber across the top of the window where you drew your yellow circle. If you measure up 10mm upwards from the gyprock edge 

then the next 35mm should be timber all the way across so  aim for the middle of the 35 mm should  hit solid timber.

So to simplify measure up  25 to  35mm  from the window gyprock  egde  and screw in there.

If you like. screw in a test screw first with out the blind to feel it bit into timber.  But use tthe blind to mark your screw holes first as a guide.

Appreciate your message @Jewelleryrescue .

As per the products installation manual, I am supposed to put the brackets in the location highlighted in Red in the attached picture. 

Should it still be okay to drill holes accordingly that is, 25 - 35 mm above the top of the window frame so that I find the centre of the stud? Or would I be hitting something else? (Lintel?)

Please advise. 

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot_20231127_131351_Gallery.jpg

Hi @MambourinNewbie

Lintel is the timber  above the window we prefer to hit for screws.

Form your photo and red indications where the blind  brackets go  every thing strongly suggests a   timber frame/lintel must be under that gyprock to support that corner  25 to 35  mm should find it as indicated. a test screw will prove it.

You will be hitting gyprock then  timber which is  what we want for maximum support if  the screw misses timber it will be gyprock and then a void with limited support other options need to be explored.

Did the top  window frame pass the thump test for firmness and limited/ reduced hollow sound as a test  guide?

If you only get one screw of the bracket (each end) into timber it will support the blind completely if the second screw is higher into  gyprock and void  then it will still be supported well by the  lower screw.

A lot of  DIY is problem solving on the fly as we discover the true nature of whats  underneath the gyprock  in person. I am 98% sure there must be timber I allow 2% for  unexpected circumstances.

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @MambourinNewbie , what's behind the gyprock depends on what type of building construction your home has. If it's double brick, then the window frame will have a thin steel lintel above, supporting brick, or if it's brick veneer it will be a timber frame. The only way to be 100% sure of what is there, is to drill a tiny test hole and see what you hit. Then use  mounting methods to suit; for brick, use masonry plugs, for timber use screws, for plaster (nothing behind) use hollow wall anchors.

Hello @MambourinNewbie 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from our members. I'm in agreement with @TedBear's advice and that is to test the wall to find out what's behind it. I also suggest having a look at this guide - How to hang just about anything by @Adam_W

I also recommend using Ramset 8 x 50mm Universal Anchor. This works on brick, concrete, wood and hollow wall applications. Please make sure to read the instructions before using.

Please remember to use personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks @EricL , I hadn't seen those before, but I will be adding some to my own workshop's collection of anchors.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects