Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install curtain rods on Hebel wall?

Dan11
Finding My Feet

How to install curtain rods on Hebel wall?

Hi,

I am looking to install curtain rods to a hebel wall. I’d expect with the curtains I would need 20kg of support.

Rod length will be 220cm with two rods for shear curtains and blackout. Are you able to advise which plug, screw and adhesive/sealant I should use?

thanks,

Dan

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: installing curtain rods to hebel wall

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Dan11. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about fixing into Hebel.

Here's CSR's guide to fixing it into Hebel, which shows the appropriate fixings. You'll need to pre-drill holes in the Hebel and insert Ramplugs. Once your brackets are in place, you can use Type 17 timber screws to attach them to the Ramplugs. The size of screws and Ramplugs is dependent on the mounting hole size in your brackets. 

20kg is quite a significant amount to be mounting on Hebel. If this is the weight of the rods and curtains alone, you'd need to ensure the brackets are secured with several fixings each.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell.

There would be 3 brackets with 2 fixings each. On the CSR site they recommended a sealant as well. Would it be better to put Sikaflex sealant & adhesive into the drill hole prior to inserting the plug and screw?

thanks,

Dan

Ps I am using the plug they recommended with these screws

https://www.bunnings.com.au/zenith-12g-x-50mm-galvanised-hex-head-timber-screws-10-pack_p2420367

846CDACF-1158-40FB-92B0-59428D4A0853.jpeg

 would there be any issues with this?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Dan11,

The Sikaflex is for penetrations and openings in the wall. If you were outside and you opened a hole to put a conduit through and there was a gap around it, that needs to be filled to prevent water ingress. For internal fixings, no sealant is required.

The 14-10 screw requirement means it needs to be 14 gauge, and that one is 12 gauge. Gauge is the thickness. These Zenith 14G x 50mm Galvanised Hex Head With Seal Timber Screws would be correct.

Mitchell

Great thanks - my only concern was if those screws would fit into the plug they recommended?

Also so you would not recommend an adhesive in the drill hole?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

To confirm, this Zenith 14G x 50mm Galvanised Hex Head With Seal Timber Screw suits the plug they recommend, not the one you selected as it's not thick enough.

The Sikaflex in this application is used for its sealing ability, not its adhesive quality. No adhesive is required and I've double-checked this just now with CSR's technical team. Don't worry, I like to question my own advice sometimes, just to be sure. 😄

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects