Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install double door to study room?

jasonnguyen
Just Starting Out

How to install double door to study room?

Hi guys,

I’m thinking of installing double door to my study room. But I’m not sure if I’m capable to. Wonder if anyone did similar thing could give me some instructions.

The open gap is 131cm (W) x 242cm (H). The previous owner had all internal doors very high (232cm) so I’m looking to do the same door height.

Please checkout the attached photo.

thank you

Jason

IMG_1807.jpeg

IMG_1808.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install double door to study room

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jasonnguyen. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about adding doors to a opening.

The basic steps would be to add a door jamb around the opening fixed into the existing stud work and then fix the architrave around those. You'll need to then measure the distance between the door jambs and work out the size for the doors. Without taking the door jamb thickness into account, we can see that you'd need two doors of around 650 x 2420mm. Those will need to be custom-made as they are not standard sizes. It would be best to pop in an enquiry and get a quote on them from the helpful team at your local Bunnings store's Special Orders desk. You should check this first, as a door of 650 x 2420mm might not be possible, but they'll be able to tell you the next closest match. Once you've established what door size you'll be using, you can adjust the opening with framing timber to suit those door sizes.

If you haven't completed similar work in the past, it might be worth considering hiring a carpenter to perform the work for you. Although the steps are relatively straightforward, getting every step finished nicely, and the doors closing evenly can be quite the task.

Here are some helpful step-by-step guides: How to install a door jamb, How to hang a door and How to install a door handle.

Have you considered installing a sliding barn door? This would be a far more achievable D.I.Y project. Here's a guide on How to install a barn door, and check out our Top 10 most popular barn door projects for inspiration.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects