Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install fly screens for timber outward opening windows?

dayzero
Just Starting Out

How to install fly screens for timber outward opening windows?

Hi, newbie here. I am planning to install fly screen to the window in my bedroom. Looking for inspiration, ideas to install the metal fly screens for this type of wooden, outward opening windows. The size is 1.7m × 1.2m. Attached photo for reference. Thanks heaps!

20240316_065229.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY Fly screens installation

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @dayzero. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing flyscreens.

You might like to have a read through this Best Advice article on How do you make a flyscreen frame? Also, check out this step-by-step guide on How to replace a flyscreen.

Due to needing to remove/open the flyscreens in order to open the window it would be a good idea to build additional timber frames for the flyscreens and have them on hinges. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
twocutekelpies
Making a Splash

Hi @dayzero 

I have the same windows as you so I made large screens with a hinged section across the bottom to be able to open and close my windows. I put a post on here last year https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Living-and-Bedroom/Insect-screens-for-casement-windows/m-p/1... if that helps. 

When buying frame, make sure you buy the corner stakes to match, there are 2 sizes, 11mm and 9mm.20230224_183608.jpg

Hope this helps

Cheers

Shelley 

Instagram @twocutekelpies

Oh! I hadn't seen that one, Shelley (@twocutekelpies). That's an awesome idea!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects