Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to obtain a glass top for a coffee table?

jaysagent
Finding My Feet

How to obtain a glass top for a coffee table?

Hi guys, I need a glass top for my coffee table. The dimensions are 80x47cm and the glass needs to be 0.5cm thick with bevelled edges.

Can someone tell me if I can get this cut here at Bunnings? And what would it cost?

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to obtain a glass top for a coffee table?

Good morning @jaysagent 

Welcome to the Bunnings community page :smile: It is a pretty good place to hang out and find a bunch of ideas and solutions to so many things.

When I have needed glass cut to size I usually drop into a glazier and have been surprised at what they can do and for what price. (I wanted holes drilled in a glass panel after 4 of had been cut to size)

There are different types of glass and glass strengths also to factor in, (Also saftey glass that shatters more the shards if broken) Is the glass going to flat on the coffee table top or will it be free standing with no support underneath it? I know special orders desk do certain things but will wait for one of the Bunnings people to drop in here :smile:

Any chance of a photo of the coffee table? 

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jaysagent 

Allow me to welcome you as well to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about obtaining a glass top.

I'm sorry but Bunnings currently doesn't have a glass tabletop cutting service. But I've passed your feedback onto our merchandise team.

Glass tabletops are usually made from toughened safety glass and are anywhere from 10mm to 12mm in thickness. I recommend checking around your area for a glazier that can do this service for you. I don't recommend using ordinary glass as it is not thick enough to support weight and is dangerous when damaged. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Hi @jaysagent 

I'm wondering about the need for the glass to be 5mm.  For a tabletop, it's safer for the glass to be much thicker than that and safety glass too - especially if there are kids in the house.  5mm glass would have been the cheap way for the manufacturers to make more profit!  

As @EricL suggests, I'd have 10mm as a minimum.  What are the legs of the table made of?  If you are on a budget it might be more affordable to get some nice grained timber from Bunnings and affix that to the legs.  There are loads of clever and talented people in this Bunnings workshop community who I'm certain will happily share the knowledge of how to do that.  Do you have a photo that you can upload?  That will help 'The Brain's Trust' out there to get a better idea of the range of possible alternatives for you.

Cheers 🤗

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects