Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint MDF panels and protect skirting?

tamfahd
Just Starting Out

How to paint MDF panels and protect skirting?

C6E5273D-C534-4B6D-9294-DB96AC2521FA.jpeg

  

Hi.  I have this Demi rounded mdf paneling in my hallway.  I had decided to leave it white.   But now I want to paint it another colour.   My question is.  How to I paint it and not get anything on the skirting.   Being Demi rounded I can tape it.   Any ideas ? 

85DDB65F-88AA-4005-ABE6-F5BC12C85455.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint MDF panels and protect skirting?

Hello @tamfahd 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about painting your MDF panels.

I suggest using a Monarch 25mm Rat Tail Trim Paint Brush or similar to paint the edge of the MDF rounded panelling. It will take some practice, but you will find a rhythm and technique to painting the edges without painting the skirting board. Once you've done the cut in you can then use a bigger brush to paint the centre of the panel. 

If you accidentally paint the skirting board, I suggest using a clean rag over a Craftright 5-in-1 Scraper to wipe off any excess paint while it is wet.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a paint mask when working on your MDF panel.

Let me call on our experienced members @prettyliving, @lifestylebymari and @redbournreno for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to paint MDF panels and protect skirting?

Hello @EricL and @tamfahd 

Yes I would recommend going with a small brush, even better if the brush is angled that way it will give you more control when painting. And in the areas that you can tape it I would also recommend to do it.

Hope this helped :smile: 

Mariana 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects