Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint geometric design on wall?

Ramank
Finding My Feet

How to paint geometric design on wall?

Hi,

I'm a beginner. Want to paint a geometric design on one wall of our living area. Don't know anything about painting. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to paint geometric design on wall?

Hi @Ramank,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.

I'll leave the how-to for the experts, but want to make sure you get some inspiration from this fantastic kids bedroom project by @ProjectPete. It sounds like exactly what you want to achieve.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your response. Yes, something similar, but with greyish and off white colour, as it is a side wall to main entrance. :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Ramank 

Thanks for sharing your question about painting a geometric design on your wall.

I propose designing your geometric pattern on paper first. This will help you in deciding what shapes you would like to include in your pattern. Once you've finalized the pattern you would like to put on your wall, I suggest making a few copies and tyring out colour patterns. Once you've finalized the design, I suggest preparing the wall for painting. 

Laying out the pattern will be the challenging part as you'll need to estimate how far you need to position the painter's tape. Use your design as a guide and slowly build the pattern. Once the pattern is laid out, I suggest going to the store and picking out your colour samples. I suggest getting 500ml sized sample pots to begin with.

My best advice is to use a premium brush in order to get a superior finish.

Here are some handy guides to help with your project:

Here are some amazing geometric painted walls our Workshop members have shared:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Thank you, very helpful :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ramank,

Ever wondered why home improvement shows never show a close-up of striped or geometric patterned walls after they are done? It's because bleeding under the tape is typically unavoidable due to the paint's stippled surface. The paint just creeps under the tape. This can be somewhat avoided by ensuring it is rubbed over and adhered very well. You can also use a brush and stipple the taped edge, making sure to keep the brush perpendicular to the wall. 

Here's the best tip I've ever learned, which will give you near-perfect results. I've gone and taken some images for you of the process to better illustrate.

• Start by painting your wall the desired base colour.

• When the paint is dry, add your painter's tape and press it down firmly.

• Take the base colour and apply a light coat over the edge of the tape. This seals it, and any bleeding will be in the base colour.

• Once that sealing layer is dry, add two coats of the colour you'd like to paint.

• Before the colour coats are entirely dry, remove your tape at a 45-degree angle.

You'll get the crispiest lines you've ever seen. The last image is at a near-microscopic level. You can see the bleeding my sealing coat did, but it's unnoticeable.

Have fun!

Mitchell

IMG_20240510_104057.jpgIMG_20240510_104204.jpgIMG_20240510_104257.jpgIMG_20240510_105224.jpgIMG_20240510_105302.jpgIMG_20240510_105448.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects