Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to plaster a brick wall?

Shenley
Getting Established

How to plaster a brick wall?

how to plaster a small section of a masonry wall

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to plaster a brick wall?

Hi @Shenley,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're pleased to have you join us and trust you'll get loads of help and inspiration for all your projects from our wonderful community members.

Could you please tell us a little more about this project and what you hope to achieve? For example, are you repairing a damaged section of plasterboard? Some photos of the wall and a little more detail would help ensure our members give more specific and helpful advice. 

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Shenley
Getting Established

I have a masonry wall where paint has peeled off. I want to skim that area, about 30cm diameter, with Polyfilla. Is there anything I need to observe to get a smooth surface before I paint the affected area? I have already sanded the area.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Shenley 

Any chance of a photo of the area? And is it undercover was another question that just came to mind?

This will potentially change what you will fillthe hole with. Looking at your question is it only the thickness of paint that has come away? 

A photo of the general area and then a photo of the actual hole/paint torn would help.

Dave

Shenley
Getting Established

Thanks, Dave. Yes, it is undercover on a bedroom wall in the apartment of an elderly friend of ours. I am going over there tomorrow to finish the job. The fill is only the depth of the paint I have scraped off. Painting over at the moment will only serve to highlight the pattern of the removed paint. Regards, Peter

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Thank you @Shenley 

Then I would recommend this sika 400ml white filler 101 fine surface filler  or something sililar. I have used it before, (tho it came in a container) for the paint on the ceiling that had flaked and came away. I had removed all the flaky bits and then sanded as you have done. It worked a treat. :smile:

Dave

Shenley
Getting Established

Thanks, Dave. Regards, Peter

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Shenley 

That's a spot-on recommendation from @Dave-1. My only other suggestion is to make sure that the filler is totally dry before you begin sanding the surface. Please remember to wipe the surface clean before you begin painting the wall.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Shenley
Getting Established

Thanks everybody. The job went without a hitch. The wall looks perfect.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@Shenley 

"Cheering" :laugh:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects