Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to protect timber window frames?

Thierry
Building a Reputation

How to protect timber window frames?

Hi Team

1. I would like to apply some protection in the window architrave. Some have  mold due to condensation. And also to keep the colour natural.

2. Also do you have a glue to seal the outside connection between window aluminium frame and the brick?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Thierry 

IMG20221205073916.jpg

IMG20220831214052.jpg

IMG20220831202142.jpg

IMG20221202080941.jpg

  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to protect timber window frames?

Hello @Thierry

I recommend using Selleys 290ml Clear Storm Waterproof Gutter And Roof Sealant. It can be used on brick and aluminium, but I suggest cleaning the area first with water, a bristle brush and some detergent to remove the moss and mould on the brick. Please make sure that the area is totally dry before you apply the silicone sealant. The sealant is rated for interior and exterior use so it is ok to use this indoors.

I propose planning where you want to apply the silicone before you open the bottle. Once you've determined your route make sure to remove any extra sealant that overspreads. As for the architrave, I suggest painting the surface to protect it from further UV exposure. It all depends if you want to use a stain and varnish or ordinary paint. You'll need to sand down the entire architrave if you are applying a new coat of paint.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Thierry
Building a Reputation

Hi @EricL 

Ok - will use the sealant to seal the outdoor , connecting the aluminium window and brick. Hope this will solve the condensation issue during winter.

IMG_20221209_153127.jpg

IMG20221202080957.jpg

2. I would like to keep the architrave with same natural look, maybe a bit glossy. Just want to protect it, especially where there are molds on the bottom inside window frame.

Maybe wash with soap to remove the moldy section?

Stain and varnish protection is the one to go?  has transparent colour? Will want to apply it to all the window frames

Thanks

Thierry

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Thierry

If you wish to keep the same look washing the timber with soap and water will remove the moss and mould. But if you paint it clear the grey washed-out finish will remain. I suggest sanding the timber to remove the grey colour and painting it with a stain and varnish. I recommend going to your store and looking at the stain and varnish sample board so that you can try and find a close match to your window finish. 

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture (the techniques used are applicable to your window frame)

Eric

Thierry
Building a Reputation

Hi @EricL 

I have a bit leftover of intergrain merbau ultradeck oil , Id #1520136. Can I apply it on the window frame, more concern on the below, where water sit due to condensation.

Thanks

Thierry

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Thierry

I suggest testing a small portion of your window frame with the Intergrain Merbau Ultra Deck Oil. Please remember to sand the surface to remove the petrified top portion of the timber. I suggest giving it at least a week to make sure that the oil has dried properly on the timber surface. Test the surface of the timber with your fingers to make sure that the oil is no longer coming off. If it is dry, then

you can paint the rest of the surfaces.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects