Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to re-render internal wall before painting?

selvins
Getting Established

How to re-render internal wall before painting?

Hi

We recently used Peel Away to remove layers of  paint from our circa 1940 home in the Blue Mountains, and have been left with small dents/scrapes in the wall. There also seems to be a sticky (solid) substance left on the wall, even after scrubbing down with water/cleaning agent.

Two questions...

Does anyone know what the substance on the wall could be? Render perhaps?

Does anyone know what we need to do to get this wall smooth and ready for painting?

I though we might need to sand the wall then re-apply limestone render, yet my husband and I are novices and rendering might be out of our league.

Ta

Steph

WallWallWallWall

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Re-rendering internal wall

Hello @selvins 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your internal wall.

I suspect that the Peel Away may have leeched into your concrete wall and that's why no amount of cleaning is working, and you are left with that sticky residue. I suggest speaking to the supplier of the chemical and finding out if it has a neutralizer or a prescribed way to wash it off.

Some parts of your wall are severely damaged others are still in good condition. But in order to get a good flat finish, I propose rendering the surface again, in this manner the wall will be totally flat. The choice is up to you if wish to attempt to render this yourself or hire a trades person to do the job.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @TedBear and @homeinmelbourne for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to re-render internal wall before painting?

Good Morning @selvins 

Id like to say "Howdy"  :smile: and welcome to the Bunnings community pages, You may feel like novices but after doing what you are doing you can forget that tag :smile: We all start out with that feeling!

The wall looks like its concrete? The sticky residue looks like it may need some more elbow grease to remove. 

What type of surface do you want to end up with? Something smooth say like an interior wall? or an exterior renderd wall?

Any chance of a further back away shot of the entire wall so we can get some perspective of the area?

Just had a look and there is an external putty you can use for the gouges Selleys Gap Filler 435g Spakfilla Heavy Duty Interior And Exterior You can sand it and paint it as well.

When I have removed wallpaper and gouged the wall (the wall was plaster) It took some effort in removing the old glue from areas. Was worth it in the end but I was cursing the original people several times.... Id give it another one or two goes to remove that sticky surface. Walk past, give it a go, come back later is another way I have tackled a pain in the neck part of a reno.

Dave

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @selvins , I tend to agree with @EricL that what you are feeling is residue of the Peel Away itself. The product Factsheet suggests that another layer could be required in some cases. If you have some left over, you could try doing a test patch to see if that softens and removes the residue. Unfortunately requires another 72 hour wait, but could you save you time and effort in the long run if it turns out to be the answer. 

selvins
Getting Established

Thanks Dave for your advice, and warm welcome! 

The walls are double brick and rendered. The sticky substance is now hard, and just forms hard clumps as can be seen in the pics. My concern was that I didn't know what the substance was, and didn't want to dig any further, and do more damage in case it was the render.

I've also sent another pic as requested, and included one showing the difference  between where the skirting boards were taken off and the painted wall. I think as you said it still might be old residue left over...

I think after reading these posts we might repaint with the Peel Away again. Not looking forward to that as it was beyond difficult the first time, and unbelievably messy! We'll also use the gap filler that you suggested and sand after. 

Wall 3.jpgWall 4.jpg

selvins
Getting Established

Hi TedBear. Thanks for your advice. I think applying another layer is the way to go. Thanks again!

selvins
Getting Established

Thanks Eric for your advice and contacting the other members. Much appreciated! 

The consensus is to use the Peel Away again to see if the substance can be removed, before considering rendering. I know though, that you mentioned the chemicals could have leaked into the cement and caused damage. Is there anything I need to be aware of regarding this, and if it will affect the integrity of the wall before I paint etc?

Also, if we choose to render again. Should we be using Lime render as our house is circa 1940?

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @selvins 

:smile: Thanks for those pics and yeah reapplying the Peelaway sounds like a firm Idea.

Looking at the walls and thinking of a 1940 circa house (love that style btw) I was reminded of Bunnings slats for noise insulation that could look very nice instead of rendering the wall.

Prempanel 2700 x 600 x 21mm Oak Timber Acoustic Panel and comes in different colours. Even if you did one wall it could save having to remove all that sticky leftover.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @selvins 

That's an excellent alternative wall covering suggestion from @Dave-1

If by putting another coat on the wall removes the stickiness, I'm all for it. I still recommend calling the seller regarding a neutralizer or a method of washing the Peel Away off. 

You bring up an excellent point regarding the type of render to use. If you do decide to use Lime, I suggest using Rockcote Lime Plaster. Please note that this product will need to be ordered at the special orders desk as it is not a regularly stocked item.   

In regards to the Peel Away seeping into the wall, I was just concerned that stickiness might not go away, but if the reapplication removes the stickiness on the wall, then there should be no problem.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
selvins
Getting Established

Thanks Dave. We were thinking of putting retro palm wallpaper on a section of the wall, but the wood panels are def a contender!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects