Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove a screw with damaged thread?

kunmit254
Just Starting Out

How to remove a screw with damaged thread?

Hello,

There is a small toy in which the Screw threads are damaged and i am unable to open it with any small screw driver.

can you please suggest how do i open these screws without damaging it?

image.jpeg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to remove a screw with damaged thread?

Hi @kunmit254 

"threads are damaged"

Are you saying the screws are turning freely and not retracting? The plastic thread has been stripped?

or/and

"unable to open it with any small screw driver"

Or the screwdriver head is not making a good connection? They look like Phillips heads - hard for my eyes to tell. Can we get a closer look?

What sized Phillips screwdriver are you using?

20240402_120308.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @kunmit254 

Thanks for sharing your question regarding your screws with damaged threads. 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Noyade. Are the screws freely spinning in both directions with nothing happening? They are neither getting tight or loose, if that is the case, I suggest trying this trick. If you have some glue stick at home place a small amount on the edge of your screwdriver.

Immediately place it on top of the screw so that the two parts are linked together. Slowly turn the screw while trying to pull it out of its hole. If you go too fast the glue will let go and you'll need to start over. Let me know if it works.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @kunmit254,

Let us know how you go with Eric's suggestion.

There's another good trick shared in this discussion - trying a rubber band for grip.

More suggestions can be found in the article How do you remove damaged screws?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

How did you get on? @kunmit254 

Another solution for free-wheeling screws in small areas like the Pepper Pig situation - is applying (gentle) pressure with a fine flat-headed jeweler's screwdriver while at the same time turning the appropriate headed screwdriver counterclockwise. You only need just enough of the head to be exposed for long nosed pliers to grab it.

20240405_120141.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects