Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove a wardrobe?

cass10
Finding My Feet

How to remove a wardrobe?

E126CD8B-7914-46FC-B53E-DB973657552E.jpeg

Hi I need some advise on where to start regarding removing this wardrobe please, any help would be appreciated 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove a wardrobe?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @cass10. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing a wardrobe.

When you say "removing a wardrobe", what exactly is the plan? Do you want to remove the whole structure to create more open floor space? If you can provide some details, I trust our knowledgeable members will have plenty of solutions on how to tackle this project.

If you want to remove the whole wardrobe, it will require dismantling the structure piece by piece. The first step would be removing the plaster, which covers the internal timber work. Once the timber is exposed, you can demolish it.

Please be advised that a significant amount of work will need to be done to the ceiling and joining walls to repair the area joining the structure. Also, where the structure meets the floor, there will be no carpet, so you'll have to repair those sections or re-lay the whole room.

I'll be keenly awaiting more details on your project, and please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell thank you for your reply, yes I want to remove the entire structure but I want to take it out piece by piece so I don’t do a lot of damage while doing it. I would guess i start by removing the doors and door frame then the cornice then the plaster, that’s sort of what I’m trying to work out.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @cass10

Thank you very much for that extra information about your wardrobe. You're absolutely correct you start with the doors followed by the hinges and the screws. Your next step is to remove and disassemble all the shelving, dividers, liners and wardrobe rod. However, you must not damage the back wall too severely. I understand you want to minimize the amount of damage, unfortunately, some damage will occur while taking this wardrobe apart.

At this point, after taking the plasterboard lining on the right of the wardrobe you should be able to see the timber frame of the wardrobe. Carefully observe which parts need to stay in your disassembly, the back wall and the left-hand wall, on the condition that it is part of the overall wall and not a part of the wardrobe frame itself. 

It is then followed by the skirting board, scotia and the wardrobe door trim. Once you have removed the door trim you should be able to see the edge of the plasterboard. Removing the plasterboard from the frame of the wardrobe without damaging it is next to impossible. Once the covering is off, the only thing left to remove will be the timber wardrobe frame itself. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Remarka6le and @diy_hausdesigns for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks Eric, I’ll post the finished look once removed. Really appreciate your insight.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @cass10

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions concerning your demolition project. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your wardrobe demolition project.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects