Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove old film on Window?

deebra
Finding My Feet

How to remove old film on Window?

how can I get old film off my window. I have tried almost everything and still won't come off? 

1000008630.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove old film on Window?

Hello @deebra 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your window film.

I suggest trying De-solv-it 300ml Multi-Purpose Cleaner Pump Spray Pack in combination with a Trojan Safety Scraper With 5 Blades. First, try to pick up a corner of the film with the scraper then spray the open corner with the De-solv-it. 

Wait for the spray to soften the adhesive of the film and keep spraying and scraping until it comes off. Make sure to have some paper towels nearby as the window adhesive will make a mess.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles when working on your project. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

The actual film was taken off by previous owner and they didn't remove the sticky part. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @deebra 

If that's the case, then removing the sticky adhesive should be straight forward. Spray the De-solv-it onto a small section and let it activate then slowly use the scraper to remove it in sections. Don't spray the whole window, only do one section at a time to get full use of the spray as it dries fast. If left alone the spray dries off and the adhesive goes sticky again.   

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you Eric will give it a go. 

Cheers 

Just to add, make sure the surface is well and truly wet when you scape it off so the glass wont get scratched 

Thank you good point cheers 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects