Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove paint from slate tiles?

Minehand
Just Starting Out

How to remove paint from slate tiles?

Hi

im trying to rejuvenate an old slate hearth that has been spattered with paint(both tiles and grout). I have scrubbed it with scrubbing brush and dishwashing liquid. Also some steel wool when this did not get the paint spots off. Scraped with a scraper also. I also used isopropyl alcohol on certain spots to clean it also. This was a bit tacky for a while post this. Does that mean that the sealer was solvent based? The alcohol really dulled the spots where I used it to clean. 
So many questions…. Anymore ideas on what to do to bring my hearth back to its former glory

IMG_8677.jpeg

IMG_8678.jpeg

IMG_8682.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair and maintain slate flooring?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Minehand. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing paint from slate.

You might like to try a small amount of acetone on the areas or use Crommelin 1L Water Rinsable Surface Cleaner And Sealer Remover. Be advised that both these products will likely strip off the sealer used on the slate. Most slate is sealed when put down, giving it that wet look. The paint should hopefully be on the sealer layer, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to strip the sealer off the lot and then re-coat.

Remember your PPE, including a facemask, safety goggles and acid-resistant gloves.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects