Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repaint a side table?

annemarie1
Just Starting Out

How to repaint a side table?

1EB6A732-6C89-4FD2-A86F-9AEEC8D159BF.jpeg

Hi my console table got damaged using one of those fragrance oils and I want to fix it. I want it to be yha same colour as before. 1. Should I strip the paint before sanding? 2. Should I use a paint or a stain? 3. If it’s a paint is a brush or a small roller the best means of application?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repaint a side table?

Hello @annemarie1 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your side table.

I'm afraid it will be extremely difficult, if not impossible to get an exact colour match for your table. The reason for this is that as the seasons pass your table is exposed indirectly to the environment causing the current table seal to fade and discolour.

What might have been a solid Merbau colour is now a faded version of it, and as such any patch you put on top will be immediately noticeable. I propose thinking about upcycling your table into a totally new colour scheme. It will give the impression that you have a new table in your home.

The basic steps will be to sand your table and remove the old stain and sealer. Once that's done, the table then needs to be wiped clean. After that it's all just a matter of choosing a colour to put onto the side table.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to restore wooden furniture 

Here is a link to our top ideas:   3 ways to upcycle a dining table

Here are some amazing upcycled furniture projects that our Workshop members have shared. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects