Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair cracks between aluminium window frame and brick sill?

Star
Just Starting Out

How to repair cracks between aluminium window frame and brick sill?

Hi Bunnings community,

How would you repair cracks between an aluminium window frame and brick window sill?

They looked like cracks in the paintwork and I started scraping off the loose paint/masonry/sealant? which revealed a gap between the frame and sill (it does not penetrate through to the outside), and there is a hole in one location.

I was thinking

1) continue to scrape away the old paint/loose masonry/ sealant?

2) fill the cracks and gaps with Rapid Spakfilla

3) sand flush (if necessary) 

4) light sand and paint over it

5) run a bead of silicone in the corner to tidy it up

If I continue scraping at it and find there is a clear gap, should I just run a bead of sealant/silicone along the gap? (Is the gap there to allow thermal expansion of the Aluminium window frame which means I should not use gap filler?)

crack look like its just in paint workcrack look like its just in paint workgapgapclose up of the crackclose up of the crackholeholeholehole

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair cracks between aluminium window frame and brick sill?

Hello @Star  

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's splendid to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about repairing the cracks near your window frame.

You are definitely on the right course with your repair job. The old gap filler that was used has petrified and turned hard and should be replaced. Cracking and splintering are often sure signs that the filler has expired. I suggest using Selleys 475g No More Gaps Interior Multipurpose Gap Filler in combination with Paint Partner Skeleton Caulking Gun.

I also recommend using Painters Masking Tape on your window so that you'll get a nice straight line when applying the gap filler.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your window frame.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: (the techniques used are applicable to your current project)

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects