Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal cuts on Specrite timber panel beech fj laminated panel?

diynoob8282
Just Starting Out

How to seal cuts on Specrite timber panel beech fj laminated panel?

Hello! 

Could I please get some help as to what should I do with this woodtop? It is meant to go on top of a shoe cabinet. Planning to cut it to smaller size. What do I do with the raw cut sides? Do I have to sand it and what products do I use to seal/finish this woodtop off?

Advice will be much appreciated. 

thank u guys

79895280-1947-4AC0-843A-07A89F0589CF.png

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: specrite timber panel beech fj laminated - what do I do after cutting it to size?

Hi @diynoob8282,

Thank you for your question on finishing a timber panel once cut.

These panels are relatively well finished off of the shelf, so a lot of sanding is not necessary. I would advise rounding the cut edges slightly using Flexovit 115mm x 1m 120 Grit Timber Sandpaper as they can be quite sharp after being cut. I would then give everything a light sanding with the same sandpaper to remove any dust, dirt or debris that may have accumulated. 

After sanding, wipe it down with a damp cloth to remove any remaining dust or dirt. Allow the timber to dry fully then coat it with a clear coat varnish such as Bondall 250ml Monocel Satin Waterbased Clear Wood Varnish to protect and seal the timber and enhance the natural timber look.

Make sure to wear all necessary personal protective equipment including gloves and a mask.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects