Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to suspend model train from ceiling?

deb4981
Getting Established

How to suspend model train from ceiling?

Finished projectFinished project

To save space in our kids' play room, we would like to install some sort of suspension model train from the ceiling, like the one in the picture. We're just not sure about what material we could use to lay under the track itself. I'm not sure what they used in this photo, it was an old one I found on the Internet, but we'd like to do something similar that can accomodate bends (room corners). 

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Suspended Train Set.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Model Train Suspension from Ceiling

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @deb4981. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about constructing an elevated railway.

Do you think that this raised platform serves any functional purpose? If not, then cutting the lower section out of MDF panel would make the job a lot easier. I can only think of constructing the boxed section with two MDF panels, one on the top and bottom and a 3mm panel for the sides. I've constructed a rendering for you below, which should illustrate better. Alternatively, if you didn't want to create the boxed raised section, it might be easier to glue a few 18mm cutouts of the track together.

Let me know what you think of using the MDF panel. 

Mitchell

Track.pngTrack2.pngTrack3.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc!
Thanks so much for your suggestion and effort putting together the fabulous rendering. No, we don’t need it to be a box shaped platform so we could probably just use the MDF panel. We’re not all that experienced using a jigsaw though. A good excuse for hubby to go shopping! Any suggestions for the ceiling brackets at all? Thanks again!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @deb4981,

It looks like they've had some custom frame welded up, which they've suspended from the ceiling with a length of threaded rod. It has two nuts and washers at the top of the frame to adjust its height and level the track. I suspect they are suspending from quite a high ceiling here. I've included a quick rendering below.  

You could create these rectangular frames out of 42 x 19mm DAR Pine and screw them directly into your ceiling timbers. I would think that would work sufficiently and should be easy to create. I popped another rendering below of this.

Mitchell

Hanger.pngTim Hanger.png

Great suggestions! Thanks so much for your help @MitchellMc ! 👍🏼😊

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated on your project @deb4981. I can't wait to see it come together!

Mitchell

Hi @deb4981 

Interesting project!

Have you exposed beams as seen in the photo you posted above or will you need to punch though a gyprock ceiling?

Cheers.

deb4981
Getting Established

Hi @Noyade !

no, no exposed beams. We’ll have to go through the gyprock.

darrkon79
Getting Established

Hi all, just an update on this project. I ended up doing a much simpler design which is basically upside down shelf brackets to make a shelf around the room.

I used MDF cut to track measurements in the corner and the 110x18mm DAR skirting board from Bunnings for the straights. It’s a bit rough and ready, but finally the track is complete and the train is running. Just going to put some strip lights behind it and good to go.

Next stop is through the walls into my daughters room and basically mirror this layout. Here’s a picture of part of the layout!

IMG_3166.jpeg

IMG_3168.jpeg

cheers. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @darrkon79 

What a beautiful railway project. I'm sure this is going to look awesome once the strip lights are in place. I'm sure everyone in the family will enjoy the train run once the railway is complete. Please make sure to post an update, I'm sure our members are looking forward to the final reveal. 

Thank you so much for sharing such a wonderful project.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects