Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to use a stud finder?

Kapers
Just Starting Out

How to use a stud finder?

I want put some ceiling hooks in to hang some plants. At Bunnings I was told to use a stud finder to ensure the hook goes into timber for strength.  When I do this it keeps alerting me to electrical cables.  I figure the cables should run ‘above’ the Timbers so I should be ok too.

But how can I be sure?  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: installing a ceiling plant hanger

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Kapers. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about using a stud finder.

You might like to read through this helpful guide on How to use a stud finder.

If you have wires in the area, you need to be exceptionally careful not to screw into them. If they are showing in the immediate area, I would not recommend you screw into that area at all. The only way to screw anywhere near them would be to map out and mark the studs and then the wires. If you take several readings around the area, you should be able to work out where the wires run from and to. To reiterate, if you are getting a reading of wires in the area, do not place screws there. The area you screw into should only come up as timber studs, not power cables. The stud finder would unlikely show cables running on top of the ceiling joists. Please don't make any assumptions that the cables you are reading won't be affected by the screws.

If you are getting readings of electrical wires, please choose another area to install your hooks, and do not risk your safety by installing them in those areas. Alternatively, you might like to employ the services of a professional to assess the wiring situation in that area and relocate cables if necessary.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects