Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How would I fix this hole in the ceiling plasterboard?

kiddb
Finding My Feet

How would I fix this hole in the ceiling plasterboard?

17124600052768637236363687218115.jpg

17124600628262253583806802116688.jpg

 G'day, 

How would I go about fixing this hole in my ceiling plasterboard, it looks like someone has tried to fix it with plaster in the past. I'm not 100% sure where to start. 

Cheers

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How would I fix this hole in the ceiling plasterboard?

Hi @kiddb ,

Welcome to the Bunnings Community, it is great to have you with us.

You should purchase a Gyprock CSR 1.5kg DIY Rapid Plaster Repair Kit as it contains everything you will need to carry out this repair.

Start by ensuring you are wearing your personal protective equipment, specifically a mask and eye protection. Use the broad knife to remove any flaky paint from the surrounds, then use the sanding block to take off the sharp edge on the paint. Once the area is prepared, put a strip of the easy tape over the hole then mix up some of the rapid patch. 

Remember, plastering is all about applying material, and gently removing it. Initially it is best to put more material than needed as you can always remove it. Apply enough to completely cover the tape so it cannot be seen through the plaster. Then, using the broadknife you want to gently feather away the material until you have a smooth, flat surface without any bubbles or obvious edges.

Once this is done, let the plaster dry for at least an hour, before sanding to a smooth finish, cleaning off the dust and finally painting.

Have a look at this handy how to guide from Bunnings' YouTube page for a visual guide.

How To Patch Plaster - DIY At Bunnings

Please reach out if you need further assistance.

Jacob

Re: How would I fix this hole in the ceiling plasterboard?

Thankyou so much for the quick reply! I will definitely give it go with the advice you have given me. 

Cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects