Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is 1.5mm spacer is enough for 1200×600 porcelain tile, honed and rectified?

vish2024
Just Starting Out

Is 1.5mm spacer is enough for 1200×600 porcelain tile, honed and rectified?

Is that a problem in future for having 1.5mm spacer for  porcelain , honed and rectified, 1200×600 size tile in bedroom & living area?

What can be done to prevent any possible damage if there is any?

20240325_085717.jpg

20240325_085743.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Is 1.5mm spacer is enough for 1200×600 porcelain tile, honed and rectified?

Apologies for the slow reply @vish2024.

Let me tag some helpful members such as @TedBear@Nailbag and @EricL to assist you as soon as possible.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is 1.5mm spacer is enough for 1200×600 porcelain tile, honed and rectified?

Hello @vish2024 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your tiles.

My apologies for the late reply. Rectified tiles have a very sharp edge when compared to ordinary tiles. The design purpose of this is to give the tile the illusion of being a single homogenous floor tile when laid out. It's perfectly alright with having a tile gap of 1.5mm. 

My best is to have the grout level to the tile rather than having it lower than the tile. I also suggest sealing it with Dunlop 250ml Grout Sealer to prevent it from getting dirty. 

Having rectified tiles will entail developing some new habits when moving furniture. Due to the nature of the tile's construction, it's best to lift furniture when moving it and not dragging it over the tile. The sharp but soft edge of the tile is prone to chipping and any sharp object that hits the edge is likely to chip and damage the tile.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects