Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Painting a bed from a dark timber stain

Adriana28
Finding My Feet

Painting a bed from a dark timber stain

Just want advice, steps on how to paint a dark stained solid hardwoid bed frame to a white provincial shabby chic look?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Painting a bed from a dark timber stain

Welcome to Workshop @Adriana28, it's great to have you join the community. I hope you find plenty of great advice and information on the site, and plenty of like-minded community members. I'm looking forward to reading more about your projects and plans.

I'm sure Workshop members will be happy to assist with tips about painting your bedframe. @Simon is one resident painting expert that might be able to assist. 

I've also moved your post to our interiors board and added some labels so it is more easily found by other community members who might have expertise in this area.

Thanks again for joining us.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Most important first step will be to use a primer. Applying a coat of the correct primer will keep the dark stain from bleeding through the top coat. It should also ensure that you can give the wood a light tone with a minimum number of paint coats.

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

@Adriana28

Really depends on whether you want a really distressed look or not. Usually the idea is to prime, then paint at least a couple of thin coats in different colours. Then you rub away some of the top coat to reveal the different colour underneath. You can also use sandpaper or steel wool or even scrape it with something like a nail. I've also heard of people using clear furniture wax in patches after the first coat, applied with something like a sponge or small brush. Then when it comes to applying the second coat, the wax repels the next layer and the old one can still be seen. 

Perhaps you'd like to share a photo of the bed and/or inspirational shots of what you might like to aim for?

JP_Finlay
Having an Impact

@Adriana28 Has the bed been varnished? You would need to sand it back if you are going to use a normal primer. If the varnish is a sound base you can scuff the surface with a medium grit paper and use a primer designed for glossy surfaces such as Zinsser BIN.

Thankyou. As im new to this ill investigate and post a pic

Thankyou as I'm new to this ill investigate and post a pic. Great advice. Im pretty goid with Interiors as I have those qualifications behind me but not to sure with pre varnished timber. Ill be back 😀

How is your project going @Adriana28? Let me know if you need a hand uploading a picture. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

I am also keen to see how you went with the project @Adriana28.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects