Workshop
Ask a question

How to fix screws not tightening on WallMate anchors?

judessc
Getting Established

How to fix screws not tightening on WallMate anchors?

Hi All

I'm trying to fix this shelf onto the plasterboard wall using 15kg WallMate screw in anchors from Bunnings. The screws only go in about half way through and they are stuck and so tight. I've tried the screwdriver, drill but no luck. There is no stud in this area of the wall. 

What am I doing wrong here ? The screws came with the anchors. 

Any advice to get me out of this issue is appreciated. 

I'm worried about putting pressure and damaging the plasterboard. 

Thanks 

Jude

IMG20240512145121.jpg

IMG20240512145126.jpg

IMG20240512150745.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Screws not tightening on WallMate anchors

Hi @judessc,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is great to have you with us.

My best guess, based on how far out the screws are, is that the screw is hitting the point where it is trying to split the back of the anchor. This is by design, so I wouldn't be concerned, you've probably just felt a normal amount of resistance and panicked a little. The screw has to "break" the back of the anchor for it open up and anchor itself properly. You might like to have a read of the details on Ramset™ Twist N Lock WallMates for some additional reassurance.

I would try applying some gentle pressure to the back of your drill or screwdriver while rotating the screw. This should help the screw to break through the back of the anchor and set itself in place properly.

Let me know if you require further assistance.

Jacob

judessc
Getting Established

Thanks for the advice @JacobZ, it could be my screwdriver. I'll get a new #2 Philips Screwdriver from Bunnings and give it a go. Will let you know how I go

Cheers

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @judessc,

Let me know how you go.

I'm more than happy to assist further if necessary.

Jacob

judessc
Getting Established

Hi @JacobZ the two screws either side are done with some force. However the middle one didn't work and trying to unscrew it meant I had to remove the anchor. Any suggestions here, should I use a good filler and try with another anchor or get a bigger anchor? Please recommend a good filler. 

Thanks 

IMG20240512173416.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @judessc,

I'd suggest you use a spring toggle with the existing hole. Once installed, the bracket will cover the hole so no need for any filler.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jacob

judessc
Getting Established

@JacobZ that worked! Thanks a lot for your help and the swift responses. You guys are great!!!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects