Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should I paint or Gyprock internal brick walls?

Tywoodpk
Growing in Experience

Should I paint or Gyprock internal brick walls?

I have a long ‘feature brick wall’ in my living area.  The rest of the room is painted brick,  one wall is bagged and the others just painted (professionally).

The house is very cold in Winter, unless the heating is kept on at all times, which it isn’t due to the cost.  It has marble floors with no underfloor heating.   

I want to paint out the dark brick to match the rest and lighten the area up.   Would having it gyprocked first make any difference to making it warmer?    Does it matter if the long wall isn’t bagged?  Does it change how many coats I would need to use?  Any other advice?

Many thanks in advance. 

IMG_8508.jpegIMG_8507.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting or gyprocking internal brick walls?

Hi @Tywoodpk,

It would be unlikely to significantly impact the room's temperature if the plaster sheets were stuck directly to the brickwork. 

Typically plaster sheets are installed over a timber frame, and if you were prepared to lose the depth of a wall cavity, you could insulate behind the plaster sheeting. That might make a difference. Since the other walls in your living area are not insulated, the impact of insulation on the feature wall will be limited. Given that the walls are brick, they should already provide a decent insulating value. I'd be looking to other areas to see where the heat is transferring, like the large windows, floor or ceiling. What sort of insulation is in the roof?

Adding plaster sheets over the brickwork will only provide a smooth surface. You won't use significantly less paint as it will need an undercoat and two layers of topcoat paint, similar to what the brick wall needs. 

In addition to insulation, there are other ways to improve the warmth of your living area, such as adding rugs or floor coverings to help insulate the marble floors, using draft stoppers for doors and windows, and using heavy curtains to block out cold drafts.

Here's a helpful guide on How to keep your home warm in winter.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects