Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Simple daybed

Nikki7
Building a Reputation

Simple daybed

Simple daybed made with a spare single mattress I had at home. Doubles as a lounge/spare bed. All made with 70x30 pine dar and a sheet of ply as base support under the mattress. First time I used my kreg jig and definitely made the job easier. Still need to finish edges and paint but completely useable as is. â€ƒ

535F459B-CEFB-4C86-B7E6-76D98F8EFECE.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Simple Daybed

Hello @Nikki7

Thank you so much for sharing your elegantly designed daybed. It looks very professionally made as you can't see any screws on the outside assembly. I've been thinking about getting my own Kreg Jig Kit but can never decide if I should buy a single piece or full set. Which one did you use for your day bed project? Will you be painting this in a dark colour or perhaps a natural finish? You would get excellent contrast against your floor if you paint this in a dark colour. Any tips or advice you can share with our members wanting to emulate your work would be much appreciated.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the inner corner of the daybed assembly? This will give our members an idea of how you joined the pieces together. Despite it looking straightforward knowing where to anchor your timber is important. Space allowing, I've always thought that a daybed is so much more practical than a sofabed. I'm sure this daybed will get a lot of use.

If you have any other projects on the go, please don't hesitate to share them. We look forward to seeing your daybed painted.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Love it !!!!!! @Nikki7 ðŸ¥°

Nikki7
Building a Reputation

Hi @EricL,

I am planning on painting in the Milk Paint Eclipse which is a dark colour. My lovely light floating timber look flooring is also from Bunnings! 
I have this kreg jig: https://www.bunnings.com.au/kreg-pocket-hole-jig-320_p0202875 and it has the settings to make spaces perfectly for any size timber so no guessing on the best anchor points. Would highly recommend trialing on a few pieces of scrap timber to get the hang of it and good clamps are a must! Also making sure you use the correct size kreg screw - the instruction book in my set outlined everything because I had no clue even where to start connecting until I read it. It outlines all the measurements, adjustments and sizes for you.
For the back cushions I brought 2x euro sized cushion inserts for each single case to make them nice and fluffy to sit against. 

Nikki7
Building a Reputation

@mich1972  thank you! Best part is it cost a fraction of buying a new sofa bed

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

And the colour combinations of those pillows !!!!! 🥰 I can’t wait to see your next project !

Nikki7
Building a Reputation

@mich1972  I love the fabric by Kirsten Katz at spotlight which is what I used to cover the mattress and matched to that. Bold and bright Australian theme with monochrome base is the whole style of my house 🥰

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects