Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Simple mid-century modern entertainment unit

Benskimo
Making a Splash

Simple mid-century modern entertainment unit

Here's a free-standing entertainment/storage unit I made, inspired by the midcentury modern lines of the original Eames storage unit, plus other similar units.

midcentury-modern-unit.jpg

Plan plan plan

I started out like I always do, with some online research and some sketching. Drawing the unit helps me to plan out all the various pieces of timber I'd need, and how they would come together.

Initial sketch of the unitInitial sketch of the unit

Working out the different shelves neededWorking out the different shelves needed

Design with time and materials constraints in mind

At first I wanted to make the entire unit out of Tasmanian oak, but the shelving pieces were too hard to get a hold of (plus they'd be quite expensive). I needed to keep time and cost down, so I created the design based on pieces available at my local Bunnings store:

32mm x 32mm Tasmanian oak posts (available in 2.4m and 1.8m)

Dressed pine 285mm x 19mm x 1.2m

Building

Construction was super simple, with wood glue and counter-sunk filled generously-long wood screws. I started with the shelves, cutting out all the 32mm x 32mm notches, and then worked on one side (below), before flipping the unit over and working on the other side. The edge pieces helped to keep the whole thing square. As I built this, I realised that it would need a middle set of feet, which I made from cuts of the 32mm x 32mm posts.

midcentury-modern-unit-building.jpg

The finished unit, wood filler as yet unsandedThe finished unit, wood filler as yet unsanded

Finishing

I decided to stain this puppy in a cedar stain (Cabot's), to unite the different colours of the two timber types as one. Cedar is pretty dark, as you can see, and this unit might look better with a much lighter stain.

The finished unit, after being stained with Cabot's cedar stainThe finished unit, after being stained with Cabot's cedar stain

The whole thing took me about a day to make (split up into 2 half-says to allow glue and wood filler to dry), and a few hours to sand and stain. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Simple midcentury modern entertainment unit

Wonderful work @Benskimo! I love the design and the amount of attention to detail you've shown. 

I'd imagine using the Pine for the shelves reduced the cost of this project considerably. The stain did a great job concealing the difference in timber, as I can't tell in the finished project.

Well done, and many thanks for sharing your project with us.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc - it felt a bit of a crime to cover over that wonderful Tassie oak with stain, but hey!

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Fantastic project @Benskimo

You did a great job on your prep work and drawings as well, you have a very good eye for perspective. I am loving the awesome mid-century vibes going on in your home and your entertainment unit really brings it all together. 

Great work.

Katie 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks a million @KatieC it really does. I've got some offcuts, so now I'm thinking of making something else, like a matching planter stand... we'll see. :wink: 

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Re: Simple mid-century modern entertainment unit

I love the open plan effect this has @Benskimo!  It looks especially good for smaller residences like mine!  It's now been added to my bucket list, so thanks for the inspiration.  As a new diy-er your plan and photos have made me believe that even I can make that!🤞🏻😁

(...and I love your cat photo! 💖)

Cheers 🤗

Thanks @Tyro , much appreciated :smile:

One tip I've learned along the way about making your own furniture is that it's totally OK to design it around some stuff you already have, e.g. books that are overly tall, or storage boxes of a certain width. Also, working up the design based on a simple grid can help. You can see just the bottom of a sketch in the second photo, where I'd done a grid where each side and height was ~330mm. Have fun with it!

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

Thanks for the tip @Benskimo !  I had come up with another idea while browsing at Bunnings but when I got home realised I'd underestimated the amount of books I have!  After some unexpected costs, my budget has been reduced.  So if it's within range I think I'm going to do a ladder type plan  ...  watch this space! 😉

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects