Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tips for under stairs storage creation?

jaiprak
Having an Impact

Tips for under stairs storage creation?

Hi There - 

I have been a silent reader of this community and have implemented quite a few of the projects that were shown up here. Having flexed my hands outside of the house I think I am now ready to do something inside (would be perfect for the winter that would come up).

I live in a double storey built around 13-15 years ago. There is space below the stairs that is currently covered that i would like to open up with a door to use for storage. I did some search with stud finder and find a gap for the door width and also opened the switch socket and peeked in a bit. I would like to what is the best way to assess if I can open to a door width and build it as a storage? Would like to avoid damage to the gypsum board as less as i can (havent been great in fixing them :)).

I also know that there is a house few streets away with my same layout and they do have storage below the stairs.

Thanks,

JP

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tips for Under stairs storage creation

Hello @jaiprak 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about using the bottom of your stairs for storage.

Before I make any recommendations, would it be possible for you to post a photo of the stairs and the covered portion? This will give our members a chance to assess how the stairs were covered. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed. Some of the things we'll be looking for is how the stair cover was covered up and finished. Can the panel be removed with minimum damage? What tools will you be needing to remove the panel?

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jaiprak
Having an Impact

Hi Eric - Thanks for your welcome and response. Here are the pics attached. The sixth picture is the view from the right side of fifth. Let me know if you need more pics. It is covered with plasterboard (curved on the sides and straight on end in second pic).

I don’t have any special tools for plasterboard cutting but have free utility knife and other things.

The first four pics is the house with same layout

1EB30DD9-FCF8-4C4F-A133-F71C82448B2F.jpeg

E1D2C123-4934-41FE-8C0A-25906730E84C.jpeg

57E2636E-6774-41AC-B616-FC0A8B9917A1.jpeg

F25E7DE8-74B1-41CC-8C60-3113FBD4FA00.jpeg

  

where they have opened up and put a door 

92781745-D8DB-4474-AEB0-BEEC523B6DEE.jpeg

E8087EAF-AE4B-4C71-AB25-D3314CB3DD27.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jaiprak,

Given the houses have the same layout, it appears entirely possible that you could install a door in the same location. Bear in mind that the other house might have had additional stud work installed to compensate for what needs to be removed for the doorway. In a perfect world, you'd be able to cut the plaster away and expose two vertical framing timbers, one on either side of the space where a door jamb can be installed within. What's the width of the space, and where are the timbers located? Doors typically go down to 520mm wide, so hopefully, there should be something pre-made that can be installed. Here are a couple of helpful step-by-step guides: How to install a door jamb and How to install a door.

If you get stuck after installing the door jamb, we do offer an in-home door installation service.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

I just took the stud finder again and realized there could be 3 vertical studs. I think the center one would be load bearing. What is my best option. Can I cut a portion a plaster at the bottom, put a camera to inspect and then put it back as neat as I can?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

With any manipulation or removal of framing structure, you first must assess whether something is structural and essential for the rigidity of the structure @jaiprak. You can open up the plaster and check inside. However, if there is a third verticle timber in the middle, you will not be able to tell whether it is structural. Only an experienced professional can assess the surrounding stud work to determine whether a section can be removed.

You might like to have a carpenter come in and at least do the work of opening the wall and adjusting any stud work. In saying that, by the time you pay the call-out fee, it likely wouldn't cost a whole heap more for him to install the door jamb. You could then install the door yourself to save some money. 

Mitchell

That makes sense. Let me try to find some carpenters (wasn’t sure who was the tradie that I should be looking for). Thanks for all the advice. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Please keep us updated, @jaiprak, and reach out again if you get stuck.

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc , @EricL - got the quote from a carpenter. It was 2k to open the cavity and install door jamb, architrave, door and paint all of them. I will find out if he is interested in just opening the cavity and do the door jamb.

But in the meantime I want to see if I can do this myself. So few questions/tips would help:

1. how do I safely open a small area of the board that I can stick my head in and see? What tools to use and how do I temporarily close until I do the big work?

2. How do I then open full area and put a door jamb. Any tips on that?

3. What raw materials to procure (what are the exact names to search for is where I am lost)

Thanks,

JP

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jaiprak 

Do you still have access to your inspection camera? If you do, is it a proper cable inspection camera? If it is, I suggest drilling a small hole in the panel so that you can slide the inspection camera in the wall.

However, if you wish to make a bigger cut in the panel, I suggest having a look at the Craftright 3 In 1 Multi Saw Set. This saw set will allow you to cut into timber and plasterboard covers. Please use your stud finder to make sure that there are no electrical conduits where are cutting into. Try to keep the cut as clean as possible so that you can re-use the panel that you've cut out.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a dust mask when cutting into the panel.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects