Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Turn around tall boy and bedside tables

hayleyann
Building a Reputation

Turn around tall boy and bedside tables

A6E69FB4-49B5-4281-90FB-AE2FC17EC081.jpeg

I had a set of drawers (tall boy) from my engagement back in 1997

i removed the feet and removed the drawer fronts, I then cut the edge around the top and bottom half back and rerounded the edges and sanded back the whole cupboard. I then lightly spray painted the top with Matt black aerosol paint and then varnished the top, lightly sanded it back once it dried and varnished it again repeated this process once more. I then used white paint and and messily painted the rest of the cabinet plus the drawers fronts with white paint but firstly I just turned the drawer fronts around so they were a flat surface and that was the new drawer fronts. The front of the drawers with the drawer fronts removed I spray painted black which then creates a shadow line and also the base was spray painted black. I the sanded the whit paint back where you could see the timber colour coming through much like the shabby chic look. Once all that was dry I varnished the rest of the drawers and then screwed the drawer fronts back on back to front.  

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Turn around tall boy and bedside tables

Hi @hayleyann,

It is wonderful to have you join the Workshop community and share your upcycled process with us. This is a great community to find inspiration and advice. 

You have written a great process to upcycling a tall boy and bedside tables. Did you have transformation photos to share with us? I can assist you if you'd like as well. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
hayleyann
Building a Reputation

Yes I do I have just had abit of trouble trying to find them amongst my million photos on my phone now to work out how to add them to my post 

BED80A60-A536-440D-BA5D-4D7A066E0E86.jpeg

D8C33E08-42AD-4DD4-A476-DB36A2AAC6CC.jpeg

B57C088A-D680-4840-A956-B6A382EE95C8.jpeg

886DAB72-D8C3-4457-A2B3-779F939C35F8.jpeg

E1BD87DA-B8B1-466A-8247-D4D60D2D5CE2.jpeg

DAFCF8E3-999D-4C6C-BAB3-DC11A74E9A07.jpeg

AC8968F2-6244-4184-9330-F5FD7AE2E53F.jpeg

  

A6E69FB4-49B5-4281-90FB-AE2FC17EC081.jpeg

Hi @hayleyann

Great to see another one of your terrific projects! Trust you're finding the community a great place for inspiring and handy D.I.Y ideas and tricks. 

Thank you for providing some great photos of your upcycled tall boy and bedside tables, we appreciate the effort. I've edited your original post to include one of the photos you provided. 

Great work, excited to see your next project. 

Akanksha 

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @hayleyann,

I am so glad you found the photos! You're upcycling skills are fantastic and you have a very creative touch. 

Katie

hayleyann
Building a Reputation

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement 

hayleyann
Building a Reputation

Thank you for your encouraging words

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects