Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycled Grandma's chest of drawers

LanaT-89
Getting Established

Upcycled Grandma's chest of drawers

My late 92yr old grandmother's Queen Anne styled chest of drawers. A week before she passed away I was folding her scarves and sorting her clothes into these drawers at the nursing home. I had joked that she might live till 100, to which she had bluntly responded “I hope not!”. I’ve had the drawers in their original state for storing baby clothes for my first two children. With another baby on the way and a burning desire to have some kid-free time I worked on upcycling this beauty whilst the kids slept. Much more modern now, sorry grandma!

PXL_20230623_022255218.jpgPXL_20230709_051357404.jpg

Materials

Taubmans paint- Teal Vortex

Hampton-style cup pulls (drawer handles)

Black furniture legs x4

PXL_20230627_051947940.jpg

Tools

Ryobi orbital sander

Ryobi palm sander

Sanding discs/paper

Paint brush

Drills

Screw driver

Steps

Step 1

Removed the old hardware drawers handles

Step 2

Removed the wooden feet of chest of drawers

Step 3

Sanded the drawers and chest

Step 4

Painted x2 coats

Step 5

Attached the new drawer handles

PXL_20230705_033029224.jpg

Step 6

Attached the new furniture legs

PXL_20230709_044219950.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Upcycled grandma's chest of drawers

Hi @LanaT-89,

First, let me extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is awesome you have joined us and we trust Workshop will become a great source of advice and inspiration. Thank you for sharing your heart-warming and cheeky story about your D.I.Y. upcycle journey. Your colour choice is really fun and that paired with the matt black hardware and legs has created a fantastic modern look. Are you able to share what the paint colour is called? 

Great projects like yours sometimes make it into our Top Ideas articles like the Top 10 most popular projects of the year, you may even find yours in there one day.

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

@LanaT-89 @What a difference from old to modern, I also like the new legs that you have installed and the colour choice, your grandmother would have love it.  Congratulations with your DIY July competition entry.

LanaT-89
Getting Established

Thank you :smile:

Taubmans- "Teal Vortex" was the colour paint I chose :smile:

DIY4Knuckleheds
Making a Splash

Very nicely done...the colour choice of the drawers with the black hardware is spot on. Good stuff 👍😁

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects