Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycled mudroom using old entertainment unit

kirstylowrey
Growing in Experience

Upcycled mudroom using old entertainment unit

When I saw this old entertainment unit on Marketplace I instantly knew I wanted to turn it into a functional mudroom for the whole family.

Steps

Step 1

First I removed all doors, hinges and screws. I then removed the decorative detailing from the sides and along the top of the piece and filled in the holes with wood filler

Mudroom original.jpgMudroom doors removed.jpg

Step 2

Next up was to make the bottom left and right boards level with the center. I measured out the height and used brad nails along the sides and back of the piece to secure them in.

Mudroom base leveled.jpg

Step 3

Up next was designing the 4 separate lockers. To do this i removed the lower shelving wood and with some spare wooden VJ paneling I created a divider in the middle of the piece and also one down the bottom to create another small cubby. I used spare pieces of wood to cover the gaps in the middle sections, alot of nails and alot of wood filler. 

Mudroom lockers created.jpg 

Step 4

Once all the holes were filled and gaps sealed this piece was given a full scuff sand with the orbital sander. Seats were sanded down to raw timber and the whole piece was given a good wash down ready for primer and paint.

Mudroom Sanded.jpgMudroom Seats Sanded.jpg

Step 5

Finally 2 coats of primer was added, and 3 coats of dug egg blue Dulux paint, along with 2 coats of Cabots Matt Clear Varnish. Black coat hooks were added, baskets from Kmart and finally the job was complete ready for a family to use.

Mudroom paint complete.jpgMudroom Baskets and Hooks.jpgMudroom Locker Close up.jpgMudroom Complete 1.jpg

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Upcycled Mudroom

Hi @kirstylowrey,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is awesome you have joined and thank you for sharing your gorgeous upcycle project with us. I really like how you saw this old unit and immediately thought of how you can bring it back to life as a mudroom cabinet. The depth of each of the locker spaces are just perfect for backpacks and school projects. Many of our members are just starting on their first upcycle project, do you have any advice for them?

Great projects like yours sometimes make it into our Top Ideas articles like our Top 10 most popular projects of the year, you may even find yours in there one day. We hope you find Workshop to be an inspiring and helpful community and if you have any questions always feel free to ask. 

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Upcycled mudroom

Good Morning @kirstylowrey 

I really think I am going to have to start keeping an eye out for these old timber cabinets. I love the outside the box thinking. So many times I have seen the old entertainment units and thought, nah they are dated. Yeah I was wrong in a big way. Love the effort you went to bringing it back to life! Right down to removing the decorative trim :smile: 

Would be happy to have it in my mudroom.

Dave

prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

Re: Upcycled mudroom

This is fantastic! What a great way to upcycle an old cabinet! Thanks for sharing! @kirstylowrey 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects