Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the best way to seal gaps between brickwork and a window frame?

renata13
Just Starting Out

What is the best way to seal gaps between brickwork and a window frame?

window frame.jpg

The walls in our living room are all exposed brick (see above photo - the gap I refer to in my post is circled in green). We have several large windows in the room and the frame of the windows is built into the brickwork - the brickwork and the window frames obviously aren't flush with each other along the entire length of the frame because the bricks are rough cut style bricks, and so there are numerous gaps between the frame and the brickwork. The gaps aren't super big, but large enough that if you stand in the right spot, you can see through the gap to outside. 

I'm looking for the best way to seal these gaps (there's a draft that comes through there and makes the room very cold in winter). I'm thinking something like Selley's Brick and Concrete sealant, but just wondering if anyone else has any suggestions! 

Thanks in advance!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What is the best way to seal gaps between brickwork and a window frame?

Hello @renata13 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about sealing the gap in your window frame.

I suggest using Selleys 450g Cedar Interior No More Gaps. It does come in a lighter colour so please check the before you purchase the filler. This gap filler can be applied to various surfaces and is suitable for both interior and exterior use. I recommend sealing both sides of the window so that no draughts come through.

I recommend cleaning the area with a bristle brush to remove any dust or debris on the brick wall before applying the sealer.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when repairing the gap.

I also suggest having a look at these helpful guides:

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
renata13
Just Starting Out

Re: What is the best way to seal gaps between brickwork and a window frame?

Hi Eric! Thank you so much - that's super helpful :smile: 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects