Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What kind of screws do I use to attached a cleat to plasterboard wall?

culturedkiwi
Finding My Feet

What kind of screws do I use to attached a cleat to plasterboard wall?

What kind of screws do I use to attach a cleat to a plasterboard/timber stud wall. My attempt to drive (incorrect) screw into wall failed seemed like drill had not enough power and when I tried to pre drill holes it resulted in a broken drill bit 😫

Also what plugs/screws should I use when stud is not in the correct spot???

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What kind of screws do I use to attached a cleat to plasterboard wall?

Hello @culturedkiwi 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's splendid to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about which screw to use in your plasterboard wall.

I suspect that behind your plasterboard wall is a brick or masonry wall which is why your drill bit split in two. I propose conducting an experiment, I suggest using a Masonry Drill Bit on your wall and observe if brick or masonry dust attaches itself on the drill bit.

You'll also be able to confirm if the drill starts to move deeper into your wall. I suggest using your stud finder and locating the plasterboard frame under the wall, I then suggest using a long, small nail to test the depth of the wall by tapping it in with a hammer. Again, this will let you know if there is something under the plasterboard as the nail will not go any deeper.

If there is a masonry wall behind the plasterboard wall, I suggest using Ramset 8 x 50mm Universal Anchor - 20 Pack. But I suggest using longer screws so that it can go past the plasterboard and the timber frame.

Here is a handy guide step-by-step guide:

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W, @TedBear, @JoeAzza and @homeinmelbourne for their recommendations. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Cheers @Eric only I did actually manage to drill the hole, the bit broke as I was removing it from the wall 😣 Thanks also for the awesome resources you attached very handy for some research…

Hi @culturedkiwi,

Hope all is well.

Just checking whether you still need assistance? We are here to help. If you are still having issues, please let us know.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects