Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What rigid heat resistant board can be used near a wood heater?

fugly
Just Starting Out

What rigid heat resistant board can be used near a wood heater?

I am after a heat resistant rigid board to use between my tv and wood heater of approx 165 cm please and thank you

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: rigid heat resistant board

Hi @fugly,

Each fireplace has its own specific clearance and exclusion zones from combustible materials, and it sounds like your TV might be within, or very close to, that zone. However, perhaps you are just being proactive. The clearance to combustibles refers to the verified and authorised safe distances required for a particular fireplace unit. These distances establish the minimum safe space necessary to prevent combustible materials from sustaining damage or posing a fire hazard due to the heat emitted by the fireplace. Adhering to the manufacturer's specified clearance to combustibles is crucial when undertaking any project involving a fireplace. Given the complexity of fireplaces, it's essential that fireplaces are installed by licensed professionals and combustible materials are not bought with the clearance zone.

If your TV is within this zone, it's not enough to add a fire-resistant board; the TV must be relocated outside of the area. If you are being proactive, then you can look towards products such as Hardie 2400 x 1200 x 15mm 2.88m² Panel Compressed Sheet.

Other alternatives include brick masonry, concrete blocks and metal.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects