Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What untreated structural Pine to use for bed project?

elaroche
Growing in Experience

What untreated structural Pine to use for bed project?

Hello everyone,

I'm starting a new project (a big loft bed) and I need to find some 90x45mm untreated structural pine. As it is for an indoor project, I want to avoid unhealthy treatment used for outdoor and unnecessary additional cost. As I need many of them, 30% more expensive has a significant impact.

I can't fine anywhere to get them. I can see the products online but I can't order in pickup or delivery. For instance: Bunnings 90-x-45mm-framing-mgp10-untreated-pine 

Can you help me finding a solution for this? What compatible (behaviour and price) wood would be available ?

I'll be happy to share the project here once started.

Thank you for your help.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Untreated structural pine

Hello @elaroche 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about untreated structural pine.

In order for me to assist you further, can you please tell me what the closest store to your area is and how many lengths of 90x45 were you planning to order? I can then make some inquiries for you and find out what other timber sizes are available.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
elaroche
Growing in Experience

Thank you Eric,

my closest store is Belrose : Austlink Corp Park, Niangala Cl, Belrose NSW 2085

Ideally I'm looking for a delivery as I don't have a UTE at the moment.

I took a screenshot of the cart like this you have the details of the 16 timbers and their size.

I hope the upload worked 😅

Screen Shot 2023-06-20 at 8.11.22 am.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @elaroche,

I apologise, as I can see you've gone to the effort of adding the items to your cart, but the untreated Pine is not stocked in your locality. I've contacted our timber supplier, and we are only able to order untreated Pine in full-pack quantities. The items appear on the site as they are available in some regional localities, but I can understand how that can be frustrating when trying to place an order. I'll pass this feedback on to our merchandise team to look into.

Construction-grade timbers have a structural rating to them and are most often used for framing walls. According to the Building Code of Australia, internal building constructions in the Tropic of Capricorn require the use of H2-treated timber, which has a Pyrethroid treatment to prevent borer and insect attacks. Unfortunately, in your case, you'd like to use that calibre for your loft bed, not the construction of a cladded wall.

We do stock Porta 90 x 45mm 2.4m DAR Pine Standard & Better for use in projects such as building beds, but as you mentioned, this dressed timber will add cost to the project. The added cost is due to it being a dressed smooth timber and the limited knot and defect inclusions.

It might not suit your current needed lengths, but we have some 90 x 45mm Framing MGP10 Untreated Pine 2.4m at Bunnings Carlingford that can be delivered to you.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

elaroche
Growing in Experience

Thank you for your feedback. 

I will have a look thank you but the length will add some additional work. 

Also I'm professionally equipped and I have everything to dress wood. 

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @elaroche

I was just looking at making a bed frame the other day! I look forward to seeing how yours comes together.

If you need addition help please reach out, Workshop is here for any questions along the way. 

Katie

elaroche
Growing in Experience

Thank you KatieC,

I'm still looking for a reasonable wood in quality price and strength as it will do a bit more than 6sqm. 

In case you have ideas 😉

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @elaroche 

Would you be able to modify your plan to use 3-meter lengths instead of 3.6m? The good news is that I've managed to track down 90 x 45mm Framing MGP10 Untreated Pine 3.0m at Bunnings Balgowlah. They currently have 80 pieces in stock so if you can modify your plan to 3-meter lengths, you'll be able to get the amount that you need for your project. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

elaroche
Growing in Experience

Oh excellent news 😃.

So I adapted the plan and made it possible. It was still available today and did the order. The delivery was higher than from Belrose as it is further away I guess.

I hope it will go well and that I'll be able to start soon and share it here.

Thank you Eric.

elaroche
Growing in Experience

Hi Eric,

After having  ordered and paid, I've received an email later telling they have no 3m 😭.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects